sorting formulas

  1. #1

    sorting formulas

    Hi,

    Ive made a spreadsheet which all the cells accept titles contain look up formula's. I want to be able to do sorts on the columns but it doesnt seem to work. I think its because excel recognises the content of the cells as a formula, but i want it just to see the result of the look up and sort that.

    Is there anyway to solve this problem?

    Thanks to all who help.

    Matt

  2. #2
    Earl Kiosterud
    Guest

    Re: sorting formulas

    m4tt,

    I'm not sure what you need. Are the cells containing a VLOOKUP in the table
    being sorted? If so, they get effectively copied (that's how sorting
    "moves" cells) to their new row when the table is sorted. It may be that
    your LOOKUP functions need absolute references to the table they're looking
    in. Or you may need to convert them to data (copy, then paste-special right
    over them), in which case the title cannot change for that row, since the
    VLOOKUP isn't there any more. I think an example of a couple of the rows of
    your table would be useful. And some of the table in which the VLOOKUPs are
    looking.
    --
    Earl Kiosterud
    www.smokeylake.com

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: sorting formulas

    Hi Matt,

    Without examples can't tell what your problem is, but if you have formulas
    referring to other rows on the same worksheet you could have a problem.

    For instance you would not want to use a formula like
    E57: =C57+E56
    instead you would want to use
    E57: =C57+OFFSET(E57,-1,0)

    applies to inserting / deleting rows as well as sorting rows.
    ---
    HTH,