Formula for adding several worksheet totals

  1. #1
    karatefem
    Guest

    Formula for adding several worksheet totals

    I have an expense statement that has 5 worksheets (one for each potential
    week of the month). I want to add a formula to the first worksheet that adds
    the totals of all the worksheets together. Anyone have a simple formula I can
    copy and paste?

  2. #2
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: Formula for adding several worksheet totals

    Are the totals of each individual sheet in exactly the same cell on each
    sheet?

    If so, say total in D50, therefore:

    =SUM(Sheet1:Sheet5!D50)
    --
    HTH,

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    karatefem
    Guest

    Re: Formula for adding several worksheet totals

    I tried pasting the formula in the cell I need the total to be - I2 at the
    top of sheet one-, change D50 to I21 which is the same cell on each
    spreadsheet that I want to add up, however it gives me an error #NAME?

    Am I missing a step?
    kf

  4. #4
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Formula for adding several worksheet totals

    Can't think of any if the leftmost sheetname is Sheet1 of those to be totaled
    and the rightmost sheetname is Sheet50. Sometimes people use
    empty sheets for the two ends just so they can insert any number of
    sheets in between. You will find information about 3D references
    in help i.e. SUM 3D
    the topic is: Refer to the same cell or range on multiple sheets by using a 3-D reference

    ---
    HTH,

  5. #5
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: Formula for adding several worksheet totals

    Sounds like your sheets might not be named *or* spelled exactly as it is in
    the formula!

  6. #6
    karatefem
    Guest

    Re: Formula for adding several worksheet totals

    So the formula =SUM(Sheet1:Sheet5!D50)

    Should read =SUM(Week1:Week5!I21)

    That is stating that I want Worksheet named Week 1 through Week 5 to add all
    of the cells in I21 on each sheet.

    correct?

  7. #7
    karatefem
    Guest

    Re: Formula for adding several worksheet totals

    This is the error I am getting (I corrected a field it should have been I22
    in each sheet)

    =SUM(week1:'[week5]Week 1 '!I22) #Name?

  8. #8
    karatefem
    Guest

    Re: Formula for adding several worksheet totals

    HEY FIGURED IT OUT!!!!
    =SUM(I22,'Week 2'!I22,'Week 3'!I22,'Week 4'!I22,'Week 5'!I22)

  9. #9
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Formula for adding several worksheet totals

    You can also do that as a 3D reference, as suggested, if the order of the sheets
    left to right is 'Week 1', 'Week 2', 'Week 3', 'Week 4', 'Week 5'
    all sheets wanted are on contiguous tabs
    =SUM('Week 1':'Week 5'!I22

    ---
    HTH,

  10. #10
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: Formula for adding several worksheet totals

    First of all, these *are* sheets in the same workbook ... right?

    Next, read this old post:

    http://tinyurl.com/dhoaz

    BTW, are there spaces between WEEK and the number 1?

    Looks like you put *2* spaces between the name and the number in one of your
    examples!

    What's chances that you made that mistake when you named your sheets in the
    first place?
    That is, put differing spaces between the name and the number in the actual
    tabs themselves.

    LOOK, with this formula, the *only* thing that matters is that the first and
    the last sheet match *exactly* in both the formula and the sheet tabs.

    I duplicated the error you were getting by putting extra spaces between the
    "week" and the number "5".

    So, check everything, and try again.
    --

    -
    > > Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit

    !

    -