date format

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Ankur
    Guest

    date format

    i have a sheet where in some cells the date are in ddmmyy format along with
    text & in some cells mmddyy format along with text.

    is there any command to change all in mmddyy format

  2. #2
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: date format

    On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 03:40:03 -0700, "Ankur" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >i have a sheet where in some cells the date are in ddmmyy format along with
    >text & in some cells mmddyy format along with text.
    >
    >is there any command to change all in mmddyy format

    You need to describe more precisely exactly what is in the cells, and how one
    can tell the difference between a date that is in mmddyy format and a date that
    is in ddmmyy format.

    For example, if the cell contains 080505, how do we now whether this represents
    8-May-2005 or 5-Aug-2005? (If you are going to automate this process, there
    needs to be some kind of rule for the conversion).

    Also, when you say there is the date along with text, what exactly is the
    contents of the cell. i.e. what is in the formula bar? what does the cell
    show if formatted as General?

    I doubt the above can be done solely with a "command". However, there may be a
    combination of command and formulas, or formulas alone, or a VBA routine, that
    can accomplish your goals.

    --ron

  3. #3
    Gary Brown
    Guest

    RE: date format

    Give examples.
    Are the dates in the same CELLS as the 'along with some text'?
    If so, are the dates always in the same position?
    If so, are the dates always the same length?
    Can't help without this information.
    --
    Gary Brown
    [email protected]