Find first

  1. #1
    DAVID VINCENT-JONES
    Guest

    Find first

    I have a column that has multiple zero values at the top and some negative
    and zero values below.

    I want to find the first (topmost) non-zero value. It will be negative.

    What would be the appropriate formula to use?

    Thanks;

    David

  2. #2

    Re: Find first

    One way (assumes data is in A1:A25):

    =INDEX(A1:A25,MATCH(TRUE,A1:A25<>0,0))

    them yourself.)

    Maybe (just in case):

    =IF(COUNTIF(A1:A25,"<>"&0)=0,"No non-zeros",
    INDEX(A1:A25,MATCH(TRUE,A1:A25<>0,0)))

    (all one cell and still an array formula)

  3. #3
    Domenic
    Guest

    Re: Find first

    Here's another way...

    =INDEX(A1:A10,MATCH(TRUE,INDEX((A1:A10<>0),0),0))

    ....which needs to be confirmed with just ENTER.

    Hope this helps!