text box

  1. #1
    Marlis
    Guest

    text box

    I have created a text box, but when I type in something, and hit enter, I get
    the error message "REFERENCE NOT VALID". Please help.
    Thank you

  2. #2
    Mangesh Yadav
    Guest

    Re: text box

    We require some more details. Where have you created the textbox, in the
    sheet or a userform. Are you using the control from the Control Toolbox
    menu. Are there any macros you are using.

    Mangesh

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Marlis
    Guest

    Re: text box

    I used the control toolbox to create the textbox in Excel. No macros.
    Thanks

  4. #4
    Paul
    Guest

    Re: text box

    It could also be that you are trying to enter text from the formula line.
    This make the data in the text box as a formula. Very cool for dynamic text
    boxes...not good if you want static data. You should be entering information
    in the text box itself.

  5. #5
    Mangesh Yadav
    Guest

    Re: text box

    just a wild guess. Please go to the VBE and check Tools > References. Check
    if there are any missing links. If yes, uncheck the ones which have missing.

    Do you get the same behaviour for any other control.

  6. #6
    Marlis
    Guest

    Re: text box

    This probably sounds like a dumb question, but should all of them be checked?
    Only the first five are.

    It only does it with the text box.
    Thanks

  7. #7
    Mangesh Yadav
    Guest

    Re: text box

    Hi,

    No, not all should be checked. My only question was: If any of the current
    checked ones have a MISSING tag along, if so uncheck the box, otherwise let
    it be.

  8. #8
    Marlis
    Guest

    Re: text box

    No missing tag.

  9. #9
    Mangesh Yadav
    Guest

    Re: text box

    What else do you have in your spreadsheet. Do you get the same behaviour in
    a new file if you repeat the same steps. Do you have a pivot table in the
    file which gives you the error.

  10. #10
    Marlis
    Guest

    Re: text box

    I have two dropdown lists. They work fine. I don't have a pivot table. Even
    when I delete the text box and go to VB, the code is still there??

    It does the same thing in another sheet.

    Thanks

  11. #11
    Mangesh Yadav
    Guest

    Re: text box

    When you delete a control, its code is not deleted, but what code are you
    talking about. Do you have some code...?

  12. #12
    Marlis
    Guest

    Re: text box

    Private Sub TextBox1_DblClick(ByVal Cancel As MSForms.ReturnBoolean)
    TextBox1.Value = TextBox1.Value + 1
    End Sub

    That's the code I was given to increase number by one when I double click
    the box.

  13. #13
    Mangesh Yadav
    Guest

    Re: text box

    Your code works fine with me. What is it that you enter. Also can you exit
    by pressing enter. I have to click outside to exit.

  14. #14
    Marlis
    Guest

    Re: text box

    I enter the number 100.

    My steps to put the box on my sheet:
    View->toolbars-->controlbox-->I then choose the textbox, I put it on the
    sheet,right click the box, and hit view code. I paste that code in, then
    return to the sheet. When I double click,it gives me "format picture"

    By the way...thank you for your patience.

  15. #15
    Mangesh Yadav
    Guest

    Re: text box

    Quite strange.
    Why don't you mail me your sheet. I will check out what the problem is.
    [email protected]

    remove NOSPAM while mailing

  16. #16
    Marlis
    Guest

    Re: text box

    I tried emailing you my sheet, but it keeps coming back, undeliverable.
    Thanks

  17. #17
    Marlis
    Guest

    Re: text box

    Just saw the part about removing NOSPAM. I sent it out again.