Filter By Date Range

  1. #1

    Filter By Date Range

    All,

    I have a large spreadsheet of data with several columns one of which contains dates.

    Is there a way I can add a start date in A1 and a finish date in B1 and then filter out the data to only show lines which fall between between and including those two dates.

    I have tried using advanced filters but this only seems to work for single dates or by having to type all the dates in the range (a bit unuser friendly) I'm sure there a way but I can't figure it out.

    Sadly the date ranges I would like to use are quite obscure i.e 15/07/2005 - 08/08/2005, so I cant just filter by month using a helper column.

    Thanks any pointers appreciated.
    AU

  2. #2
    Forum Expert swatsp0p's Avatar
    Kentucky, USA
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010
    Posts
    1,545
    Use Data>Filter>AutoFilter. On the Date column, in the dropdown box, select Custom. Use the parameter of "Greater than or equal to" and choose your beginning date from the dropdown. Select "And" and use "Less than or equal to" and choose your ending date from the list. Click OK

    Only the rows that meet your criteria will be displayed.

    Does this work for you?

    Bruce
    Bruce
    The older I get, the better I used to be.
    USA

  3. #3
    rahrah3a
    Guest

    RE: Filter By Date Range

    using the Data - Filter you can choose a Custom filter on your start date
    column where anything is greater than or equal to 15/7/2005 and in the finish
    date column custom filter for dates less than or equal to 8/8/2005.

  4. #4
    Thanks for the replies I managed to do it using a advanced filter and using,

    >="Start Date" <="End Date"

    This filters out all the records within that range. I also managed to get it to only filter out 3 rows (Date, Customer, Price) I was interested in and paste the data to a new sheet.

    My next challanege is to total up column C when A and B are the same and again post the data to a new table or consolidate the existing one. I know pivot table and subtotals can be used for this but I would like to use a formula if possible.

    Anyone know if SUMIF could be used for this?