compound interest daily

  1. #1
    Calculation limited
    Guest

    compound interest daily

    I need to calculate compounded daily interest on an amount owed by a debtor.
    Can someone give me a excel formula. I am not a math please layman terms. I
    know the principal of how it works but don't want to spend a day doing it by
    calculator. Amount 4324.13 @23.99% from 10/22/03 to 8/23/05

  2. #2
    Forum Expert swatsp0p's Avatar
    Kentucky, USA
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010
    Posts
    1,545
    We are assuming 23.99% simple interest, calculated and compounded daily (ooh, that's nasty! )

    There may be simpler ways to do this, but this way should get you your answer:

    Beginning in F1 enter the start date (i.e. 10/22/03) and auto fill that down until you reach 8/23/05 (F672). In G1 enter the beginning value of the loan ($4324.13). In G2, enter this formula:

    =G1+(G1*(0.2399/365)) and copy down to the end of the range (double click on the drag handle)

    For more data, you could see the total amount of interest added to date by using this in H2:

    =G2-G1

    and this in H3, copied down:

    =G2-G1+H2

    Your total will be in G672 (you can continue down with the formulas if the bugger hasn't paid up yet).

    Good Luck!

    Bruce
    Bruce
    The older I get, the better I used to be.
    USA

  3. #3
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: compound interest daily

    Put the dates in cells A1 & A2, oldest date first
    Put the Amount in A3 and the Rate in A4

    in B1 use this formula

    =(1+A4/365)^(A2-A1)-1

    That will tell you what the total interest rate is.

    In B2 use the formula

    =B1*A3

    That's the total interest owed

  4. #4

    Re: compound interest daily

    Calculation limited wrote:
    > I need to calculate compounded daily interest on an amount owed by a debtor.
    > Can someone give me a excel formula. I am not a math please layman terms. I
    > know the principal of how it works but don't want to spend a day doing it by
    > calculator. Amount 4324.13 @23.99% from 10/22/03 to 8/23/05

    Did you advertise (or stipulate) that 23.99% is the "APR"?

    If so, then I believe that using 23.99%/365 (0.065726%) for
    the compounded daily interest rate is incorrect. That would
    result in an APR of 27.10%. I believe the correct compounded
    daily interest rate is 0.058930%.

    (Note: That is a personal opinion, not a legal one. I do
    not know what is common practice or regulation among lendors.)

    Given an APR of 23.99%, this is how I would compute the
    compounded daily interest rate:

    RATE(365,,-1,1.2399) [A1]

    The number of days (671) can be computed as:

    DATE(2005,8,23)-DATE(2003,10,22) [A2]

    Do you truly want to compute the "compounded daily interest"
    -- the amount of interest each day(!)? Or do you really want
    to compute something else -- perhaps the total interest
    accumulated between 10/22/03 and 8/23/05, assuming no payments
    and a compounded daily interest rate?

    The latter ($2096.49) can be computed as follows:

    FV(A1,A2,,-4324.13)-4324.13

    I hope that helps. As noted, it is not really clear (to me)
    what you are trying to compute.

  5. #5
    Calculation limited
    Guest