Auto Filter Macro

  1. #1
    Snakeoids
    Guest

    Auto Filter Macro

    Greetings,
    I have created a button on a worksheet with the following code:
    Sub Macro4()
    ActiveSheet.ShowAllData
    End Sub

    When I have the Autofilter active for a column(s), I just press this button
    and the filter is taken off. No problems. However if I press the button
    when the Autofilter is not filtering any of the columns, I get a debug error.
    How do I tell the computer that if I press the button while the Autofilter
    is already off, don't do anything? Thanks.

  2. #2
    StinkeyPete
    Guest

    RE: Auto Filter Macro

    Try this:

    Sub Macro4()
    On Error Resume Next
    ActiveSheet.ShowAllData
    End Sub

  3. #3

    Re: Auto Filter Macro

    Another way is to just check first:

    With Activesheet
    If .FilterMode Then
    .ShowAllData
    End If
    End With

  4. #4
    BizMark
    Guest

    Re: Auto Filter Macro

    Indeed. On Error Resume (Next) can be a nasty catch all.

    Also - beware of using

    On Error Resume (Next)
    and
    On Error Goto 0

    in the same sub-routine (where you might want to ignore some errors but
    stop on others) - if an error is trapped by the former, an error
    occuring during the latter can cause an Illegal Operation error in
    Excel 97 (and possibly Excel 2000 - I think this was fixed in a later
    version).

    BizMark

    --
    BizMark

  5. #5

    Re: Auto Filter Macro

    I'm not sure what error you're writing about (in xl97), but I agree that you
    should use that "on error resume next" sparingly. And turn it back to your
    error handler (or goto 0) right after the code that may cause the error.

  6. #6
    StinkeyPete
    Guest

    RE: Auto Filter Macro

    I didn't realize that if I didn't offer a disclaimer on using "On Error
    Resume Next" that it would be such an issue. So here it is: "On Error
    Resume Next" is the quick and dirty solution to your problem. Do not use
    this if you are performing brain surgery with excel. Otherwise it will work
    just fine.

  7. #7
    BizMark
    Guest

    Re: Auto Filter Macro

    StinkeyPete,

    What I made was a valid point that people would do well to heed. That
    is what this forum is about.

    If you can't handle considered advice from other people with experience
    which may supplement yours, I suggest you hang on to your personal
    and/or sarcastic comments. They are not needed, not helpful and not
    civil.

    BizMark

    --
    BizMark

  8. #8
    BizMark
    Guest

    Re: Auto Filter Macro

    Dave Peterson Wrote:
    > I'm not sure what error you're writing about (in xl97),

    I think millions of Excel users around the world are only too aware
    what error message this is.

    Surely you can't tell me you've NEVER had this?

    "Microsoft Excel has performed an Illegal Operation and will be shut
    down. If the problem persists, please contact the software vendor".

    Or, in later versions,

    "Microsoft Excel has encountered a problem and needs to close. We
    apologise for any inconvenience. Do you want to submit an error
    report?"

    There are a myriad causes for this behaviour, some are consistently
    repeatable and therefore trappable, and some are not. Any situation
    which causes these to happen with any regularity, it is useful to
    people to point out as it can prevent them from losing many man hours
    or days of work. Some are:

    1. Using On Error Resume Next then On Error Goto 0
    2. Editing VBA code when the 'Forms' toolbar was open on a Dialogsheet
    before switching to the VBE, then saving in the VBE
    3. Operating on range names in macros when the name definitions contain
    #REFs etc.
    4. One user running macro in a workbook, another user having the same
    workbook open as Read-Only, then the other user does 'Save As' to make
    a copy - result - Illegal Operation/Encountered a Problem error occurs
    for user running the macros.

    There are many others that don't spring to mind straight away.
    Sometimes this error cannot be explained.

    However, I think StinkeyPete needs to realise that it needn't be an
    issue just because somebody has issued a warning over his solution.

    BizMark

    --
    BizMark

  9. #9

    Re: Auto Filter Macro

    I've gotten that error (one or two times <vbg>). But none that I could
    attribute to an "on error resume next" line.

    #2. I use xl2003 and don't use many dialog sheets, but I almost always have the
    forms toolbar, drawing toolbar, and control toolbox toolbar visible. As a test,
    I added a dialog sheet and then swapped to the VBE. Nothing bad happened.

    #3. I don't recall ever having excel crash when I had range names that had
    errors. (My code crashed--but not excel.

    #4. I've never seen excel crash because of this, either.

    I've found that excel crashes with I do something wrong with an API function or
    maybe even a corrupt workbook. Or other things that I couldn't pinpoint
    (non-reproducible types).

  10. #10
    BizMark
    Guest

    Re: Auto Filter Macro

    Many of these problems seem to be less prevalent with later versions
    (the above conditions caused them repeatedly with xl97) - conditions 1
    and 2 have caused me problems here at work on xl2003.

    There is a bug which leavs the 'Forms' toolbar floating when switching
    from worksheet view to VBE view, and saving when this happens
    invariably corrupts the workbook. Many times when I've tried it with
    later versions as I've progressed through the versions, I've expected
    this problem to be resolved, but the same thing has happened time and
    time again, regardless. And this is on different types of PC, using
    different types of network software (Novell and NT Server, various
    versions) and at home with no network.

    BizMark

    --
    BizMark

  11. #11

    Re: Auto Filter Macro

    When I was running xl97, I'd have those toolbars showing, too. I don't recall
    any problems with corrupted workbooks. But that's just my experience. Your
    mileage may vary.