Columns to Rows

  1. #1
    RColeII
    Guest

    Columns to Rows

    I need to take a worksheet with columns A1, B1, C1, D1 and reformat those
    into rows.

    The end result should be:

    C-A1
    C-B1
    C-C1
    C-D1
    C-A2
    C-B2
    C-C2
    C-D2
    etc.

    Suggestions?

  2. #2
    rahrah3a
    Guest

    RE: Columns to Rows

    copy the selection you want to reformat. Select an empty cell of where you
    want your column to begin. Select Edit - Paste Special - in the lower right
    check the box for "Transpose" This will reformat the rows into a column.

  3. #3
    RColeII
    Guest

    RE: Columns to Rows

    I may be doing something wrong, but this didn't work. The problem is that
    while A1 on the new worksheet equals A1 from the original, it isn't until A5
    on the new worksheet that I want A2 for the original. Everytime I try and
    copy / paste (even using Paste Special) Excel wants to copy so that A5 on the
    new worksheet = A5 on the original (instead of A2).

  4. #4
    RColeII
    Guest

    RE: Columns to Rows

    Ok... on further tries I was able to get the first 4 columns to paste to the
    first 4 rows on the new spreadsheet using the "Transpose" function. However,
    Worksheet 1 has 882 rows with 4 columns each. Doing a mass "copy" / "paste
    special" didn't work (Copy area and Paste area are not the same size). I
    tried Paste Special with 1 cell, ALL cells, 882 cells selected. All with the
    same results.

    Any ideas on how to duplicate this across the entire spreadsheet?

  5. #5
    Lewis Clark
    Guest

    Re: Columns to Rows

    Excel has a limit of 256 columns, so if you desire to have 4 rows and 882
    columns it will not work.

    If the number of rows won't grow, you may want to consider dividing your
    4x882 range into ranges of about 4x221. Then you can align these 4 ranges
    vertically, and put a few blank rows between them as a separator.

    Depending on your application,

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    RColeII
    Guest

    Re: Columns to Rows

    What I want to do is take my 4 columns with 882 rows and convert them into 1
    column with 3528 rows.

  7. #7
    RColeII
    Guest

    Re: Columns to Rows

    I guess the best example I can think of is:

    I want this table:

    Horse Cat Fish Sheep
    Cow Dog Bird Duck

    To become this:

    Horse
    Cat
    Fish
    Sheep
    Cow
    Dog
    Bird
    Duck

  8. #8
    Alan Beban
    Guest

    Re: Columns to Rows

    RColeII wrote:
    > I guess the best example I can think of is:
    >
    > I want this table:
    >
    > Horse Cat Fish Sheep
    > Cow Dog Bird Duck
    >
    > To become this:
    >
    > Horse
    > Cat
    > Fish
    > Sheep
    > Cow
    > Dog
    > Bird
    > Duck

    If the functions in the freely downloadable file at
    http://home.pacbell.net/beban are available to your workbook, you can
    consider something like

    =ArrayReshape(A1:D2,8,1) array entered into an 8-cell column.

    Alan Beban