How do I save a password protected Excel doc in order to open?

  1. #1
    Stamperfiend
    Guest

    How do I save a password protected Excel doc in order to open?

    Is there a way I can "save as" a password protected Excel spreadsheet to a
    different location in order to open it, bypassing the password?

  2. #2

    Re: How do I save a password protected Excel doc in order to open?

    Try
    File|saveas
    on the SaveAs dialog, click on Tools|General and erase any password you find.

  3. #3
    Stamperfiend
    Guest

    Re: How do I save a password protected Excel doc in order to open?

    Thanks for your response. I appreciate your willingness to give me some
    guidance. This suggestion did not work, however. The document is not one
    that I created. When I open it, there is a password box in the middle of a
    greyed out Excel spreadsheet. I do not have the option to get into any of
    the menu items. Is there another way?

  4. #4

    Re: How do I save a password protected Excel doc in order to open?

    If you need the password to open (different from the password to modify), you'll
    have to find that password somehow.

    You could search google for password breakers (usually not free) or ask the
    developer.

    My suggestion would only work if you could open the file (even in readonly
    mode).

  5. #5
    Stamperfiend
    Guest

    Re: How do I save a password protected Excel doc in order to open?

    Thanks for getting back to me again. I was afraid this would be the answer,
    but thought I had read about a way to circumvent a password. Appreciate your
    help.