Eliminating all the messy workings

  1. #1
    ray?
    Guest

    Eliminating all the messy workings

    if you make a cell show the result of a formula based on other cell values
    i. e. cellA = 2*cellB + cellC
    And then you delete cells B and C then A goes to zero
    Is there a simple way of keeping the value obtained in A, but still losing
    cells B and C?

    (This actually applies to a large sheet of numbers with a row A calculated
    from many other rows, but I just want one column of the resulant A's)(for
    input to another non-excel program which is only expecting A)

    ray

  2. #2
    Dodo
    Guest

    Re: Eliminating all the messy workings

    "ray?" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > if you make a cell show the result of a formula based on other cell
    > values i. e. cellA = 2*cellB + cellC
    > And then you delete cells B and C then A goes to zero
    > Is there a simple way of keeping the value obtained in A, but still
    > losing cells B and C?

    Do a Copy and Paste Special/Values in A before you empty the cells in B and
    C.

    --

    It is I, DeauDeau
    (Free after monsieur Leclerc in 'Allo, 'allo)

  3. #3
    ray newport

    "Dodo" wrote in message .
    > "ray?"
    >> if you make a cell show the result of a formula based on other cell
    >> values i. e. cellA = 2*cellB + cellC
    >> And then you delete cells B and C then A goes to zero
    >> Is there a simple way of keeping the value obtained in A, but still
    >> losing cells B and C?
    >>

    > Do a Copy and Paste Special/Values in A before you empty the cells in B
    > and
    > C.

    That works a treat!
    Next...
    how do I (simply) do that for a long column of A B C D's

    ray again

  4. #4
    ray newport
    Guest

    Re: Eliminating all the messy workings

    "ray newport" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Dodo" wrote in message .
    >> "ray?"
    >>> if you make a cell show the result of a formula based on other cell
    >>> values i. e. cellA = 2*cellB + cellC
    >>> And then you delete cells B and C then A goes to zero
    >>> Is there a simple way of keeping the value obtained in A, but still
    >>> losing cells B and C?
    >>>

    >> Do a Copy and Paste Special/Values in A before you empty the cells in B
    >> and
    >> C.

    > That works a treat!
    > Next...
    > how do I (simply) do that for a long column of A B C D's
    >
    > ray again

    Apologies, I tried a little harder..
    Just highlight the whole column, and do them all at once
    Many thanks
    ray

  5. #5
    Dodo
    Guest

    Re: Eliminating all the messy workings

    "ray newport" <[email protected]> wrote in news:deko2p$ria$1
    @news6.svr.pol.co.uk:

    > That works a treat!
    > Next...
    > how do I (simply) do that for a long column of A B C D's

    The same way. Select all cells that you want to convert from formula to
    value (remember the top left corner of this selection) and special paste it
    whilst having selected the top left corner of your initial selection only.

  6. #6
    Dodo
    Guest

    Re: Eliminating all the messy workings

    Dodo <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > "ray newport" <[email protected]> wrote in news:deko2p$ria$1
    > @news6.svr.pol.co.uk:
    >
    >> That works a treat!
    >> Next...
    >> how do I (simply) do that for a long column of A B C D's
    >>

    > The same way. Select all cells that you want to convert from formula
    > to value (remember the top left corner of this selection) and special
    > paste it whilst having selected the top left corner of your initial
    > selection only.

    You were fast!