with formulas that show negative results I want to show zero inste

  1. #1
    brit64
    Guest

    with formulas that show negative results I want to show zero inste

    where my formulae may show negative results in my spreadsheet, in some
    instances I want to display a zero (0.00) instead (with no minus - or
    positive + preface symbols). Please help. Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Ray A
    Guest

    RE: with formulas that show negative results I want to show zero inste

    one way
    Format>Cells>Number
    HTH

  3. #3
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: with formulas that show negative results I want to show zero inste

    try
    =if(myformula<0,0,myformula)

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software
    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    brit64
    Guest

    Re: with formulas that show negative results I want to show zero i

    hi Don - I must be doing something wrong. If I understood your suggestion
    correctly, I needed to modify what you gave me by inserting MY formula where
    so indicated. In so doing, I get the following formula:
    =if((=sum(AE193*0.15))<0,0,(=sum(AE193*0.15)))
    which does not work.
    MY original formula is:
    =SUM(AE193*0.15)
    this formula currently returns a negative value which I do not want to show,
    rather whenever this formula returns a negative value it should display
    0.00, and if it returns a positive value, then that positive value should be
    displayed. This spreadsheet is a dynamically linked to an online data source
    of real time values that continuously change and update, hence the need for
    the formula value to automatically update itself as the cell values
    dynamically imported to the sheet are modified.
    Thanks again for the help !
    peter in Tucson, AZ

  5. #5
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: with formulas that show negative results I want to show zero i

    On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 11:20:03 -0700, brit64 <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >hi Don - I must be doing something wrong. If I understood your suggestion
    >correctly, I needed to modify what you gave me by inserting MY formula where
    >so indicated. In so doing, I get the following formula:
    >=if((=sum(AE193*0.15))<0,0,(=sum(AE193*0.15)))
    >which does not work.
    >MY original formula is:
    >=SUM(AE193*0.15)
    >this formula currently returns a negative value which I do not want to show,
    >rather whenever this formula returns a negative value it should display
    >0.00, and if it returns a positive value, then that positive value should be
    >displayed. This spreadsheet is a dynamically linked to an online data source
    >of real time values that continuously change and update, hence the need for
    >the formula value to automatically update itself as the cell values
    >dynamically imported to the sheet are modified.
    >Thanks again for the help !
    >peter in Tucson, AZ
    >
    >"Don Guillett" wrote:

    You state you want to "display" negative numbers a certain way.

    To do that, you merely need to custom format the cells in which these numbers
    are stored:

    Select the appropriate cells.

    Format/Cells/Number/Custom Type: 0;"0.00";0

    --ron

  6. #6
    brit64
    Guest

    Re: with formulas that show negative results I want to show zero i

    Ron, with your last suggestion (see at end below) it seems I was heading in
    the right direction except the whole command string line does not work.
    maunually entering your whole suggesyed string of "0;"0.00";0 " returns an
    error while hiliting the last digits ";0".

    help pleasee
    peter

  7. #7
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: with formulas that show negative results I want to show zero i

    On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 13:54:06 -0700, brit64 <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Ron, with your last suggestion (see at end below) it seems I was heading in
    >the right direction except the whole command string line does not work.
    >maunually entering your whole suggesyed string of "0;"0.00";0 " returns an
    >error while hiliting the last digits ";0".
    >
    >help pleasee
    >peter

    I cannot reproduce your error here.

    Are you adding quote marks at the beginning and the end as you typed?

    That's NOT what I suggested (only quote marks are in the middle, around the
    0.00).

    Are you using the Format option from the main menu, or something else?

    --ron