Protect macros?

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Protect macros?

    How can I keep a user from accessing macros in a spreadsheet. I have
    some of the macros run when needed via VBA, and I have other macros
    that I use for such things as protecting or unprotecting all or
    selected sheets as needed. But I don't want the other users to be
    able to manually access the macros.
    Thanks for any help.

  2. #2
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: Protect macros?

    Hi

    you can password protect the vba project (ie the macros), press ALT & F11 to
    switch to the VBE editor,
    find your workbook's name in the Project Explorer (view / project explorer)
    right mouse click on it
    choose VBAProject Properties
    Go to the protection tab
    tick the check box and put a password in.

    --
    Cheers
    JulieD
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    Re: Protect macros?

    Thanks Julie. I had done that, but the user can still run a macro by
    selecting Tools/Macro, selecting a macro, and clicking Run.

    Also, I realize that worksheet and workbook protection are easily
    bypassed. I just need to keep the user from stupidly running a macro
    that can screw up the book.

  4. #4

    Re: Protect macros?

    If you add:
    Option Private Module
    to the top of each general module, then the names won't be visible in the
    Tools|macro|macros... dialog.

  5. #5

    Re: Protect macros?

    Thanks Dave. That's what I was looking for. I've tinkered with Excel
    for a few years, but I just keep on learning new stuff all the times.
    Thanks to all who replied.

  6. #6
    SharonP.
    Guest

    Protect macros?

    Dave, I'm working with this hint and am having a problem/question.
    When I add this Option Private Module as a Declaration - is is not visible
    in the Tool/Macro/Macros but I also can't run the macro either. What am I
    missing. I don't want the macro viewable for the general public but I need
    to run it still.

  7. #7
    Ron de Bruin
    Guest

    Re: Protect macros?

    Hi Sharon

    Press Alt F8 and enter the macro name

    --
    Regards Ron de Bruin
    http://www.rondebruin.nl

  8. #8
    Jason Morin
    Guest

    RE: Protect macros?

    Just be aware that Excel's protection is not invincible. There are commercial
    password breakers as well as free methods (ie hex editor) available to break
    VBA project passwords. A persistent individual with access to the internet
    could view your code if they really wanted to.

    HTH
    Jason
    Atlanta, GA

  9. #9

    Re: Protect macros?

    Thanks Jason. I myself have some tools here to break the passwords,
    and if I can do it, anyone can. I just need to keep the user from
    running a macro that may screw up the book.