lookup help

  1. #1
    green fox
    Guest

    lookup help

    Second try with this...I'll try to explain it better. I have a two-cell
    worksheet win workbook1. It is replaced every day, automatically with
    another two cell sheet in a new workbook with the same name. A1 is a
    date. B1 is number, eg. 1542.
    I want to automatically place the number into a cell in another
    workbook and sheet, by matching the date with dates in column A of the
    second sheet, and Column E (fillers)of the second sheet.
    I've been playing with match, offset and index, lookup etc. I've been
    able to get a number from DATE:E and have it show up in the first
    workbook.sheet, but that's the opposite of what I want to do. I can't
    have the formuala in the first workbook, because it will be overwritten
    each day.

    I would be thankful if someone could just point me in the right
    direction.

    Andy

  2. #2
    Earl Kiosterud
    Guest

    Re: lookup help

    Andy,

    In the second sheet, in the column where you want the data, try this
    formula. It's coded for row 2.

    =IF('[Workbook 1.xls]Sheet1'!$A$1 = A2, '[Workbook 1.xls]Sheet1'!$B$1, "")

    Copy down with fill handle or copy/paste. This doesn't deal with the stuff
    in column E because I didn't understand how that fits in.
    --
    Earl Kiosterud
    www.smokeylake.com

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    green fox
    Guest

    Re: lookup help

    Column E is where I want the number from workbook1 ($b$1) to go. For
    example:

    workbook1
    A1=Thursday, August 18 2005 B1=1345

    Workbook2
    A23 = Thursday, August 18 2005 E23=0

    I want the 1345 from workwook1 entered into workbook2, E23.

    Thanks, sorry for the lack of clarity. :-)

    Andy

  4. #4
    Earl Kiosterud
    Guest

    Re: lookup help

    Andy,

    Then put the formula in E2, and copy down.

  5. #5
    green fox
    Guest

    Re: lookup help

    I'm having trouble getting it...

    =IF('[rpt_Layout 8000 Fillers and Graybar.xls]qry: filler and
    graybar'!$A$1 = a19, '[rpt_Layout 8000 Fillers and Graybar.xls]qry:
    filler and graybar'!$b$2, "")

    i've tried a more explicit reference to workbook1 c:\layoutdocs\rpt_
    etcm
    the colon in the worksheet reference was mentioned in error messages,
    and I've had a message about the reference to workbook not being
    permited.

    I can't be more specific because I tried everything I could think of
    Saturday night (or was it Friday?) and finally put it down.

    I'm in a complete fog, but I figure I missed something that should be
    painfully obvious.

    dense but determined,

    Andy

  6. #6
    Earl Kiosterud
    Guest

    Re: lookup help

    Andy,

    I don't know what all that stuff is in the link in your IF function. You
    have rpt's and qry's and stuff in it. Sounds as if you're trying to refer
    to Access reports and queries or something. You need only the workbook
    name, sheet name, and cell reference. It should take the form:

    '[Work book 1.xls]Sheet 1'!A1

  7. #7
    green fox
    Guest

    Re: lookup help

    The workbook was exported from access with a vba routine. The sheet
    name 'qry: fillers etc., is a carry over from the access report.
    Do you think that the colon in the name is the problem? If its the
    naming, then I'll just change my access routing to fix it. I'm as adept
    a access vba as I am at excel. argghh! Now I have to start messing with
    outlook too. I love this stuff but my brain resists.

    Thanks a mint.

    Andy

  8. #8
    Earl Kiosterud
    Guest

    Re: lookup help

    Andy,

    Your IF looked out of whack to me, but I see now that it's not. I should
    have recognized those names. My mistake.

    I think you're right about the colons. It wouldn't allow me to name a sheet
    so. Your formula works if the sheet name doesn't have the colons.

    The Lesynski (?) naming convention for access database objects calls for
    object names like rptLayout_8000_Fillers_and_Graybar, or
    qryFiller_and_graybar, but I don't recall the use of colons there.

    I think you're just around the corner of the solution. Keep hacking!

  9. #9
    green fox
    Guest

    Re: lookup help

    Thanks again Earl,

    that worked, although I think I'll have to nest it in another statement
    so it doesn't wipe out the previous date value.

    determined

    Andy

  10. #10
    Earl Kiosterud
    Guest

    Re: lookup help

    Andy,

    Good. I'm not sure why a date is getting wiped out. The IF returns the
    data in B1 associated with the date in A1. What's getting wiped out?

  11. #11
    green fox
    Guest

    Re: lookup help

    Sorry, I 'mis-spoke', Column A has 31 dates -- august 1 to august 31.
    Column E has the corresponding number from the other workbook. The
    'else' part ot the if statement returns a blank if the dates don't
    match. I need to keep the dates once they are in there. There daily
    records. I haven't had a chance to look at it today -- today I'm
    wrestling with using a userform to update a spreadsheet AND a userform
    to grab dates and return emails. I really appreciate your help.

    Thanks,

    Andy

  12. #12
    Earl Kiosterud
    Guest

    Re: lookup help

    Andy,

    Lemme see if I got this right. You put a new workbook 1 (rpt_Layout 8000
    Fillers and Graybar.xls), and you want any of the column E values previously
    found from their associated value in B1 (because the date in column A
    matched) to remain in the second workbook. It's the dynamic nature of any
    formula to work with the current data being referenced. That's why they
    change when the referred cells (first workbook) change. You need the data
    to "latch" into the column E cells. That can be done with self-referential
    cells (circular references), but isn't a great solution. A macro that puts
    the hard values in place in column E is the better solution.

  13. #13
    green fox
    Guest

    Re: lookup help

    Thanks Earl...that sounds right, I'm using three other related sheets
    to create a document, this is the fourth. I'm using a single VBA
    routine with the other sheets so it would make sense to do this in
    there. I'll see how I can incorparate what I've learned here with that
    routine.

    Thanks again

    Andy