Weighted Average

  1. #1
    hawsoon13
    Guest

    Weighted Average

    I am trying to get some square footages...I have a series of lengths in one
    column, and a series of widths in the next...I want to get an average width
    and multiply it by the sum of the lengths...the formula is
    roughly...(A1*B1)/AxA28+B28)/Ax...where Ax is the sum of A1:A28 in this
    case...that formula obviously does not work...is there an easier way to enter
    this than to individually plug in every cell in a huge equation?...does this
    make any sense...thank you for any and all help...

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    Houston, TX
    Quote Originally Posted by hawsoon13
    I am trying to get some square footages...I have a series of lengths in one
    column, and a series of widths in the next...I want to get an average width
    and multiply it by the sum of the lengths...the formula is
    roughly...(A1*B1)/AxA28+B28)/Ax...where Ax is the sum of A1:A28 in this
    case...that formula obviously does not work...is there an easier way to enter
    this than to individually plug in every cell in a huge equation?...does this
    make any sense...thank you for any and all help...
    If Column A is where the lengths are entered and Column B is where the widths are entered, your formula is

    =average(B1:B28)*sum(A1:A28)

    where

    average(B1:B28) is the average of the widths in Column B &
    sum(A1:A28) is the sum to the lengths in Column A

    Hope this is what you are looking for.

    Regards.
    BenjieLop
    Houston, TX

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Weighted Average

    From the title I would have guessed

    =AVERAGE((A16:A18)*(B16:B18))

    which is an array formula, and is committed with Ctrl-Shift-Enter

    but from the description I think you might mean

    =SUMPRODUCT(A16:A18,B16:B18)/SUM(A16:A18)

    which is not an array formula

    RP

    news:[email protected]...