divide a large group of people into smaller groups by their vote

  1. #1
    siku
    Guest

    divide a large group of people into smaller groups by their vote

    I need to divide a large group of people into smaller groups by their vote.
    They individually vote whom they wish to be in a sub-group with and the
    chart would form the sub-groups.

  2. #2
    CLR
    Guest

    RE: divide a large group of people into smaller groups by their vote

    In A1 type NAME
    In B1 type SUBGROUP
    Starting in A2, fill in the rest of the sheet with all the names of your
    folks and how they voted, down columns A and B

    Then, select both columns by highlighting the A and B at the top of the
    columns., then in the upper ToolBar, click Data > Sort > select column B
    ascending for the first key, and column A ascending for the second key then
    "OK"

    This should sort your list by "vote" and alphabetize each subgroup.

    Give it a try and post back if you run into problems......

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

  3. #3
    San Francisco
    MS-Off Ver
    Google Sheets

    Re: divide a large group of people into smaller groups by their vote

    I think this is an NP-Complete problem, so I don't think there is a formula that could actually do it other than brute-force. (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2...t-satisfaction)

    I ran into this problem at work and wrote a script that brute-forces it. Only caveat is the data has to be in a specifically formatted CSV.

    http://grouper.owoga.com/

    If you need it to do something more than what it does I could probably make the change pretty quick, just drop me a line.