More than 3 conditional formatting

  1. #1
    0-0 Wai Wai ^-^
    Guest

    More than 3 conditional formatting

    Hi.
    Is it possible to have more than 3 conditonal formatting?
    Any workaround is still appreciated.

    Eg:
    Currently I need to highlight different ratings with different background color.
    There are 6 ratings in total. That means I need 6 conditonal formating.

    --
    Additional information:
    - I'm using Office XP

  2. #2
    MarkI
    Guest

    Re: More than 3 conditional formatting

    "0-0 Wai Wai ^-^" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi.
    > Is it possible to have more than 3 conditonal formatting?
    > Any workaround is still appreciated.
    >
    > Eg:
    > Currently I need to highlight different ratings with different background
    > color.
    > There are 6 ratings in total. That means I need 6 conditonal formating.
    >
    > --
    > Additional information:
    > - I'm using Office XP
    > - I'm using Windows XP

    Hello,

    not tried this but could you place a formula in a cell on your worksheet
    using if statements with multiple conditions to produce a number. Then use
    the conditional formatting formula to reference the result of this formula
    to act accordingley?

  3. #3
    0-0 Wai Wai ^-^
    Guest

    Re: More than 3 conditional formatting

    > Hello,
    >
    > not tried this but could you place a formula in a cell on your worksheet
    > using if statements with multiple conditions to produce a number. Then use
    > the conditional formatting formula to reference the result of this formula
    > to act accordingley?

    Sorry, not sure what you mean.
    Indeed the ratings are subject to changes by users.
    So it seems impossible to use "if"

    Even if I use "if formula, how can I use conditional formatting to place 6
    different formattings for 6 ratings?
    If only 3 formattings are allowed, it would be great if I know how to do so with
    conditonal formattings too.

    The 6 ratings are:
    Abysmal
    Poor
    Below Average
    Above Average
    Good
    Excellent

    I try to use "between" in conditional formattings, but the result becomes weird.
    How to do?

  4. #4
    MarkI
    Guest

    Re: More than 3 conditional formatting

    "0-0 Wai Wai ^-^" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:%[email protected]...

    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> not tried this but could you place a formula in a cell on your worksheet
    >> using if statements with multiple conditions to produce a number. Then
    >> use
    >> the conditional formatting formula to reference the result of this
    >> formula
    >> to act accordingley?

    > Sorry, not sure what you mean.
    > Indeed the ratings are subject to changes by users.
    > So it seems impossible to use "if"
    >
    > Even if I use "if formula, how can I use conditional formatting to place 6
    > different formattings for 6 ratings?
    > If only 3 formattings are allowed, it would be great if I know how to do
    > so with
    > conditonal formattings too.
    >
    > The 6 ratings are:
    > Abysmal
    > Poor
    > Below Average
    > Above Average
    > Good
    > Excellent
    >
    > I try to use "between" in conditional formattings, but the result becomes
    > weird.
    > How to do?

    Ah, I see what you mean - I thought you may have several conditions that
    could produce up to theree formats (eg if its abysmal, poor or good make it
    red otherwise good or above ave make it green etc)

    In your case, I think you'll need to use a macro to test your conditions and
    to colour/format the cell accordingley.

    see
    http://exceltips.vitalnews.com/Pages...l_Formats.html

  5. #5
    0-0 Wai Wai ^-^
    Guest

    Re: More than 3 conditional formatting

    --
    Additional information:
    - I'm using Office XP
    - I'm using Windows XP

    本人的能力非常有**. 如有不當之處, 望識者不吝賜正!!
    My ability is very limited. Hope you will not mind to enlighten me if I do
    wrongly.
    "MarkI" <[email protected]> 在郵件
    news:[email protected] 中撰寫...

    > "0-0 Wai Wai ^-^" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:%[email protected]...
    > >
    > >> Hello,
    > >>
    > >> not tried this but could you place a formula in a cell on your worksheet
    > >> using if statements with multiple conditions to produce a number. Then
    > >> use
    > >> the conditional formatting formula to reference the result of this
    > >> formula
    > >> to act accordingley?

    > > Sorry, not sure what you mean.
    > > Indeed the ratings are subject to changes by users.
    > > So it seems impossible to use "if"
    > >
    > > Even if I use "if formula, how can I use conditional formatting to place 6
    > > different formattings for 6 ratings?
    > > If only 3 formattings are allowed, it would be great if I know how to do
    > > so with
    > > conditonal formattings too.
    > >
    > > The 6 ratings are:
    > > Abysmal
    > > Poor
    > > Below Average
    > > Above Average
    > > Good
    > > Excellent
    > >
    > > I try to use "between" in conditional formattings, but the result becomes
    > > weird.
    > > How to do?
    > >

    > Ah, I see what you mean - I thought you may have several conditions that
    > could produce up to theree formats (eg if its abysmal, poor or good make it
    > red otherwise good or above ave make it green etc)

    So assume I have up to 3 conditional formatting only.
    I still don't know how I can set it like:
    - if its abysmal, poor or good make it red
    - if good or above ave make it green

    Any ideas on how to do?

    > In your case, I think you'll need to use a macro to test your conditions and
    > to colour/format the cell accordingley.
    >
    > see

    http://exceltips.vitalnews.com/Pages...l_Formats.html

    Thanks, I go and look now.
    If I have questions, can I ask here?

  6. #6
    MarkI

  7. #7

    Re: More than 3 conditional formatting

    yeah.. well you can have a 4th; it's basically the default.

    but there is a much better solution

    i would reccomend using Access for complex reports like this; then you
    can write a couple lines of VB (the easiest language EVER) in order to
    do whatever you wanted-- you could have a billion different kinds of
    conditional formatting with access (the onprint event in reports for
    example)

  8. #8
    Ron Rosenfeld

    On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 14:19:08 +0800, "0-0 Wai Wai ^-^" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi.
    >Is it possible to have more than 3 conditonal formatting?
    >Any workaround is still appreciated.
    >
    >Eg:
    >Currently I need to highlight different ratings with different background color.
    >There are 6 ratings in total. That means I need 6 conditonal formating.

    You need to use a VBA event-triggered macro to do this.

    If you search the archives (e.g. Google groups) with your subject, you should
    find plenty of solutions.

    --ron