Returning Multiple list of Values

  1. #1

    Returning Multiple list of Values

    Hi,

    I am new to the use of Index function.I was trying to use this for
    solving a particular problem-

    I have sheet1 one with 2 columns,A & E, full of string values.Sheet2
    has a column where values are restricted by lists.When the user selects
    a value , I should be able to search by this value in sheet1 in Column
    A and get a list of values from column E of sheet1.These columns have a
    value in Column A which equals the search value.

    for e.g.

    Sheet 1

    Col A ColE

    AAA Pack1
    AAA Pack2
    AAX Pack3
    AAE Pack4

    Sheet2 :User Selects a value of AAA and one column in sheet2 is
    currently populate with this formula

    =(INDEX($A$1:$E$65535,MATCH(Sheet2!$C1,$A$1:$A$65535,0),5))

    The above formula retuns only one value. I am expecting an array of
    values, 2 to be exact .How is this possible using Index or is there any
    other funtion which can do the above job.What am i doing wrong in the
    baove code?

  2. #2
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: Returning Multiple list of Values

    The formula you're using will only return the *first* match.

    To return an array of matches, try this *array* formula:

    =INDEX($E$1:$E$300,SMALL(IF($A$1:$A$300=Sheet2!$C$1,ROW($1:$300)),ROW(A1)))

    --
    Array formulas are entered using CSE, <Ctrl> <Shift> <Enter>, instead of the
    regular <Enter>, which will *automatically* enclose the formula in curly

    Adjust your ranges and *don't* use all the available rows as you did in the
    formula you posted.
    This is an *array* formula, which uses resources, and you shouldn't use more
    than what you need.

    The rows in the Row($1:$300), is the actual *number* of rows in your list,
    and does *not* pertain to addresses.

    Copy down as many rows as you anticipate a return.
    --
    HTH,

    RD

    news:[email protected]...