Barcodes

  1. #1
    Jaz
    Guest

    Barcodes

    I have to make an excel spreadsheet that has a number in one column and a
    corresponding barcode in the next column.

    I can add the number in the first cell, drag it down and it will auto
    populate in sequential order.
    Ex (10000, 10001, 10002....)

    Now I need to put the corresponding barcode in the next column. The number
    will look like this: *10000*, *10001*,*10002*.... And then I change the
    font to a barcode font.

    Does anybody know how I can get this to auto populate down the column? The
    dragging method does not work.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks
    Jasper

  2. #2

    RE: Barcodes

    Type this formula and copy it down the column.

    ="*"&A1&"*"

    Then, if you want to, copy that entire column and paste special --> values (if you want to get rid of the formulas you just copied and just have the *10001* figures.
    Excel_Geek
    http://blog.excelgeek.com/

    "...I'll do that in Excel for $50..."

  3. #3
    Ian
    Guest

    Re: Barcodes

    Not sure if either of these will help as I don't think I have a barcode font
    to try.

    If you format the cells as Custom and type in "*"#"*" as the format
    (including all the quotes), the cells are displayed as you showed by just
    typing in the number, but the underlying data remains a number (eg type in
    10000 and it is displayed as *10000*). I don't know how this would affect
    the barcode font, but it does autopopulate.

    Another option would be to use a formula in the second column. Assuming your
    numbers are in column A staring at row 1. In B1 type ="*"&A1&"*" and copy
    this down the column.

    --
    Ian
    --