Highlighting blanks via GO TO SPECIAL is not highlighting blank cells - HELP, I'm totally stuck.

  1. #1
    Jamie Furlong
    Guest

    Highlighting blanks via GO TO SPECIAL is not highlighting blank cells - HELP, I'm totally stuck.

    Long story, but I'm now 4 hours into a simple task. The formula:
    =IF(AND(ISBLANK(B18),ISBLANK(F18)),"~~~~",IF(ISBLANK(TRIM(F18)),,TRIM(F18)))

    All those trims are to make absolutely completely sure that when I PASTE >
    SPECIAL > VALUES from the resultant cells of my formula, I need to make sure
    that blanks really are blanks. And they are. In fact, I made all the boxes
    TEXT format once I'd pasted them. And I went into each on and checked that
    they were blank - no hidden spaces or anything.
    STILL goto special won't mark them as blank. I REALLY need this urgently,
    I've just blown away my Saturday night to get this finished - I really don't
    want to be up much past 2am with this!
    I'm totally stuck, I've followed 4 different tutorials, watched a video on
    it too - I seem to be doing everything right. What now?
    Excel 2000 SP3 Win XP Home SP2

    Please, any help REALLY appreciated.

  2. #2

    Re: Highlighting blanks via GO TO SPECIAL is not highlighting blankcells - HELP, I'm totally stuck.

    Saved from a previous post:

    If you had formulas that evaluated to "" and then converted to values, you can
    see a single apostrophe in the formula bar of one of those cells if you toggle
    this setting:

    Tools|Options|Transition tab|check the transition navigation keys box
    (uncheck after you're done checking.)

    I like to clean up that detritus with this technique:

    select the range (ctrl-a (twice in xl2003) will get all the cells)
    edit|replace
    what: (leave blank)
    with: $$$$$ (some unique string)
    replace all

    followed by:
    edit|replace
    what: $$$$$ (that same unique string)
    with: (leave blank)
    replace all

    If you need a macro, record one when you do it manually.

  3. #3
    Jamie Furlong
    Guest

    Re: Highlighting blanks via GO TO SPECIAL is not highlighting blank cells - HELP, I'm totally stuck.

    I'm really grateful to you for trying to help, and I can now see that this
    little tip has clearly worked for some other people, but SOMETHING is still
    wrong!
    For example:
    FIND (blank)
    REPLACE ~~~~~

    FIND ~~~~~
    REPLACE (blank)
    leaves me with ~ visible and '~ in the formula bar, and yes, I've been back
    and forth and tried it with and without that transition key.

    FIND ~ finds nothing, even when ~ is left in the cell, as does FIND '~

    Googling a bit more revealed that this bug is catching out quite a few
    people, and probably explains why I totally had to give up on a spreadsheet
    about 8 months ago.
    If so many people know about it, how come there isn't a fix yet?

    Anyway, I tried something else:
    http://groups.google.co.uk/group/mic...dd13ad403b6685
    says:
    --------------
    "After you've done Paste Special Values, select the range and run this
    1-line macro:
    Selection.Value = Selection.Value
    This will make the cells with the "" in them truly blank. "
    --------------

    Macros aren't my specialty, so I found this post:
    http://groups.google.co.uk/group/mic...b8d820b863993d
    which says:

    --------------
    From just a general part of the document (nothing
    selected), go Tools / Macro / Visual Basic Editor
    Click in the window down low called "Immediate"
    Type this exactly:
    ActiveDocument.ConvertNumbersToText
    then press Enter
    (You may notice that, as you type, a balloon of options
    pops up. You can double-click on "ConvertNumbersToText"
    and that will help, but you still have to press Enter to
    activate it.)
    It'll seem like nothing has happened ... but ...
    Go File / Close and Return to Microsoft Word
    --------------

    Of course, before doing that, I'd made my selection and changed the line
    from
    ActiveDocument.ConvertNumbersToText
    Selection.Value = Selection.Value
    but still no better.

    BUT WAIT! I just had a cunning plan - I copied the entire column including
    the ~ that was left over from the back and forth find and replace, pasted it
    into notepad, did a find and replace on that, then pasted the entire column
    back in - hey presto, it actually seemed to work!

    But honestly, this is a ridiculous thing to have to do. Does MS have a bug
    tracking system or some place I can add my name to the list (I'm guessing
    this bug is already on a list to do somewhere!)

    Does anyone know if it's fixed in Office 2003? 'cos during my many many many
    hours of travelling the net to try and find an answer, I noticed that you
    could have 60 days of 2003 to play with. If someone can confirm that this is
    fixed, I'll go with that version.

    Thanks again for help so far.

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4

    Re: Highlighting blanks via GO TO SPECIAL is not highlighting blankcells - HELP, I'm totally stuck.

    You made an unfortunate choice with the tilde ~ and it was even worse that you
    used an odd number in your replaces.

    ~ is a special character.

    * is a wildcard that represents anything
    ? is a wildcard that represents any one character.

    To find/replace the asterisk, you give it ~* (kind of an escape character).
    Same thing with ? (use ~?). So to tell excel that you don't want to use ~ as an
    escape sequence character, you use two of them ~~.

    If only you had trusted and used the $$$$$ <vbg>.

  5. #5
    Jamie Furlong
    Guest

    Re: Highlighting blanks via GO TO SPECIAL is not highlighting blank cells - HELP, I'm totally stuck.

    Oh NOOO!!! I was thinking "OK, he's used $ as a variable, an example".
    So I knew that . did something, as did * and various other things, so I
    thought the ONE THING that would be benign would be the good old tilde!
    In the end, to get it done, I did the "via notepad" trick. This morning,
    with the pressure off, I did more searching and came across this link:
    - so they know about it! The easiest thing seems to be:
    sort the data to get the "blanks" together, then use "CLEAR > CONTENTS", but
    then I get another problem. I can't undo the sort back to the state it was
    before, because it wasn't sorted into any state. And I just noticed that
    even though I could undo three actions back, it will also undo the
    intermediate actions

    Finally found the bug reporting page by signing in with Passport, and guess
    what? It's an 800 number in the USA. Am I going to try and explain it to the
    person on the phone?!
    http://support.microsoft.com/gp/contactbug

    Downloaded OpenOffice - that behaves far more nicely with respect to the '
    situation, but guess what? It doesn't have "GO TO BLANKS", so I'm stuffed
    again.

    Thwarted at every turn. The KB article says the ' problem applies only to
    Excel 2000.

    Downloading Office 2003 now....will let you know if problem is fixed. How
    can something so simple be so hard?!?

    (Now I know how Bush must feel while trying to form a simple sentence
    ("Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream."))

  6. #6

    Re: Highlighting blanks via GO TO SPECIAL is not highlighting blankcells - HELP, I'm totally stuck.

    If I have to put sort data, but make sure I can put it back in the original
    order, I insert a helper column.

    I put
    =row()
    in the top cell and drag down.
    Then select that column
    edit|copy
    edit|paste special values
    (to convert to values)

    Then I can sort by anything I want. And when I'm done, I just resort by that
    helper column (and delete it later, if I want).

    Another option may be to apply data|filter|autofilter, show blanks and select
    that range and edit|clear contents.

    But there are lots of times, this junk is left over in multiple columns.
    Sorting or filtering would take lots longer than the mass change stuff.

    ps. excel 2003 behaves the same way as xl2k as xl97 as.....

  7. #7
    Jamie Furlong
    Guest

    Re: Highlighting blanks via GO TO SPECIAL is not highlighting blank cells - HELP, I'm totally stuck.

    Dave, you're a star! Of course, once I followed your instructions and used
    the $$$$ then it worked fine.
    Bit of a learning curve! I think most of my problems are now solved. Thanks
    again.