Excel file opened as read-only, if saved by another user

  1. #1
    GeEf
    Guest

    Excel file opened as read-only, if saved by another user

    I have two users defined in my XP system. Let'c call them "A" (admin) and "B".
    If I save an excel file in the Shared Folder as user "A", then user B can
    only open it as Read-only. However, if user B saves it, then user A has no
    problem in open it as a read/write file.
    It hasn't always been like this, in the past I had no problems in updating
    this file regardless of how I logged in.

    Why does this happen? Is there a setting somewhere that needs to be updated?
    How can I correct it?

    Rgds,
    GeEf

  2. #2
    Henry
    Guest

    Re: Excel file opened as read-only, if saved by another user

    GeEf,

    Open the file, (either user) and look in the Share File applet.
    You may see that user B is still logged into the program from an earlier
    session.
    It sometimes happens that a user isn't logged off (when they close the
    program) over a network.
    Log this "ghost" user off, close the file (no need to save if read only) and
    reopen.
    This should clear your problem.

    Henry

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    GeEf
    Guest

    Re: Excel file opened as read-only, if saved by another user

    Thanks Henry.
    However, my problem is for two user accounts on the same computer, not over
    the network. I just made a small test again, where I created a new file and
    saved and closed it as user A. Then I switched to user B and opened the
    file, and it was opened as Read-only.
    In fact, I realise now that it's not really an excel problem, as I just
    noticed the same problem appears when I save a word document as user A. It
    then becomes read-only for user B. It seems like whatever user A creates in
    the Shared Documents folder can only be opened read-only by user B. However,
    documents saved by user B can be opened normally by user A.
    Note that user A is an admin account.

    This problem appeared recently, and I don't understand why. In the past any
    user could update the documents.
    What could be the reason?
    What do I need to do to fix it?

    Rgds,