Extend formats and formulas

  1. #1
    JRB
    Guest

    Extend formats and formulas

    Does anyone know why a running sum type of formula =SUM(B2,C1) does not
    automatically copy down?
    Similarly, I cannot get a fill colour to extend down when a date format is
    used.
    Formats for numbers and text values copy down OK. It is just dates and the
    running sum type of formula that do not seem to work. I have followed all
    suggestions for extended formats and formulas in the Knowledge Base.

    PS Excel 2000 Vs 9.0.3821 SR-1

    Many thanks
    Robert

  2. #2
    Anne Troy
    Guest

    Re: Extend formats and formulas

    Change the formula to =B2+C1. There is no need for the SUM part if you're
    only adding two numbers. You're just unnecessarily adding "weight" to your
    file.
    ************
    Anne Troy
    www.OfficeArticles.com

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    JRB
    Guest

    Re: Extend formats and formulas

    Thanks Anne
    I tried your suggestion. The formula still does not 'extend' down to the new
    row

  4. #4
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Extend formats and formulas

    Hi Robert,

    You have to have 3 rows immediately above with the same formatting,
    bank statement with a debit or a credit filled in, but not both would
    not be the same format. You would have to be lower down on the
    sheet for the fill formulas and formatting to work.

    I would suggest that for a formula on row 2 that
    =B2 + OFFSET(C2,-1,0)
    would work better if you want to rearrange your rows, or insert or
    delete rows to prevent you from getting a #REF! error.
    Normally you would have column headers (labels) at the top of each
    column to indicate what is in the column.

    see http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/insrtrow.htm
    ---
    HTH,

  5. #5
    Anne Troy
    Guest

    Re: Extend formats and formulas

    Okay, let's define "extend", then. Or perhaps this article (the bit about
    the Fill Handle) will help:
    ************

  6. #6
    JRB
    Guest

    Re: Extend formats and formulas

    David thnks for your reply. I have many rows above the new row that have
    identical data types and formatting. I tried the formula you sugest and it
    produces the running sum that I require, but this formula also does not copy
    down when I fill in the rest of the new row at the bottom of the list.
    I have found that a formula that references only cells in the same row as
    the formula copy down successfully. If the formula references a cell in the
    row above as is needed by a running sum, then the extending down of formulas
    does not seem to work.

  7. #7
    JRB
    Guest

    Re: Extend formats and formulas

    Thanks Anne, but I am referring to the 'Extend Formats and Formulas' that
    applies to a list having consistant data, formatting and formulas in the rows
    above. Simply want a basic running sum formula to copy down automatically
    when I fill in a new row at the bottom of the list.

  8. #8
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Extend formats and formulas

    Yes, I find that extend formulas and formats is unreliable and of little
    use, but I do keep it turned on. If you look at the webpage, I referred
    you to you will find other solutions. such as invoking a macro to
    insert rows. An event macro to fill in the formatting and formulas
    once you enter something into a column.
    ---
    HTH,

  9. #9
    JRB
    Guest

    Re: Extend formats and formulas

    Thanks David, will give the macro route a try. Pity extend formulas does not
    work as advertised, it seems a pretty useful idea.
    Robert

  10. #10
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Extend formats and formulas

    Hi Robert,
    Extend formulas and formats works as advertised it's just that are so many
    little things that can break the chain, like empty spots (cells) on a row.

  11. #11
    JRB
    Guest

    Re: Extend formats and formulas

    Hi David,
    I have used the simplest of lists and formulas to test this. With my version
    of Excel, a formula that references cells in the Same row ALWAYS copies down.
    A formula that references a cell in any other row NEVER copies down. Formats
    (eg fill colour) in a date column never copies down.
    Perhaps there is a patch that fixes this for Excel 2000?
    Rgds
    Robert

  12. #12

    I have just trying to figure out the extend formats and formulas feature for a family member. The feature will not extend a formula that has been copy/pasted into the row. To avoid having to type a formula in each time you need to use Fill/Down instead of copy paste. I also have found that if the formula uses more than 2 columns you need 5 consectutive rows in order to get the sum to automatically appear. I also was able to successfully get a simple formua like =G2-G1 to automatically extend by using the previous tip of =G2-Offset(G2,-1,0).

    In addition if the formula has even the simplest of differences such as number formatting or even =sum(A1:G1) vs. =+sum(A1:G1) the extend won't work (until there are 5 consecutive rows with the same formula).

    Hope this helps you.

    Jennifer