How to turn off the F1 key in Excel 2002

  1. #1
    widman
    Guest

    How to turn off the F1 key in Excel 2002

    I now know how to turn it of in Word, but it is a real pain in Excel when it
    keeps popping up when I want the F2 key or escape key. I use too many
    different keyboards and am not in the habit or looking at the keyboard (often
    in poor light anyway).
    How can I disable it?

  2. #2

    Re: How to turn off the F1 key in Excel 2002

    Chip Pearson says that he actually "fixed" his keyboard by taking that key off.
    Others say that they left the key, but removed the spring underneath.

    But you could use a couple of macros (one to disable and one to enable):

    Option Explicit
    Sub disableF1()
    Application.OnKey "{f1}", ""
    End Sub

    This would toggle it back to normal.

    Sub enableF1()
    Application.OnKey "{f1}"
    End Sub

  3. #3
    widman
    Guest

    Re: How to turn off the F1 key in Excel 2002

    I must be doing something wrong, but copied and pasted the first part into a
    new module in my personal macro book, but the key is still alive and kicking.

  4. #4

    Re: How to turn off the F1 key in Excel 2002

    Did you run that macro?

    Or add a line to the auto_open subroutine

    sub auto_open()
    'your code here
    call disablef1
    end sub

    and corresponding:

    sub auto_close()
    'your code here
    call enableF1
    end sub

  5. #5
    widman
    Guest

    Re: How to turn off the F1 key in Excel 2002

    thanks, that is great
    now let's teach microsoft