Go to Excel Help menu and enter limits, Excel will cut off text displayed in
a cell. I believe the count is 1024 characters. Does not matter they are
merged, plenty of white space, small font, etc. The display limit is 1024
for a cell. Formula display is higher.

From the Help menu
Length of cell contents (text) 32,767 characters. Only 1,024 display in a
cell; all 32,767 display in the formula bar.