Highlighting Specific Cells

  1. #1
    mrj1701
    Guest

    Highlighting Specific Cells

    What I would like to do is be able to show visually on the screen how to
    possibly differentiate between a cell that has a number in it and a cell that
    has a formula in it. Say one cell has a number 231 in it and then another
    cell has a sum formula in it. I would like the cell with the number in it to
    be shaded red. Is there anyway to accomplish this task.
    Thanks In advance.

  2. #2
    Bob Umlas, Excel MVP
    Guest

    RE: Highlighting Specific Cells

    Select all the cells, use Format/Conditional formatting..., change "Cell
    Value Is" to "Formula Is", then enter =ISNUMBER(A1), click the Format button,
    choose the Patterns tab, click the color you'd like for numbers.
    The A1 used above is assuming the ACTIVE Cell's address is A1. If not, then
    enter the active cell's address.

    Bob Umlas
    Excel MVP

  3. #3
    mrj1701
    Guest

    RE: Highlighting Specific Cells

    Unfortuanatly, when i use this commad, it will highlight a cell that is a
    formula because it gives a number result. What i would like to happen would
    be to only have the cells that have a distinct number entered into them as
    being highlighted, and if a cell has a formula, it will not be highlighted.
    Thanks.

  4. #4
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: Highlighting Specific Cells

    This is slapped together - no warranty of any kind.

    Copy the code below, then right click on the tab for the sheet where you
    want to do the testing/highlighting and choose View Code

    Paste this code in

    Public Function IsFormula(rng As Range) As Boolean
    Dim str As String
    Application.Volatile
    IsFormula = False

    On Error GoTo cleanup
    str = rng.Formula

    If Left(str, 1) = "=" Then
    IsFormula = True
    Exit Function
    End If

    cleanup:

    End Function

    Back in Excel, use conditional formatting and use FORMULA IS and use
    something like

    =isformula(A1)