Custom sorting

  1. #1

    Custom sorting

    Hi,

    I want to sort in the following way:

    DMA
    DMB
    MWB
    01A
    10B
    45B
    45O

    .. list continues for n number of 3-characters combinations.

    Problems I have are:
    1. The custom list has only 254 lists.... I have more than 30000+ lines
    2. My rule is: A-Z, 0-9.
    3. I am not able to change the default excel sort...

    Can anyone help me.

    Thanks
    Vasanth

  2. #2
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Custom sorting

    As long as you are not looking to sort numerically the following
    will allow you to approximate an EBCDIC (mainframe) type of sorting.

    Sorting, Some notes on sorting in Excel
    Sorting as if EBCDIC as on a mainframe (#ebcdic)
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/sorting.htm#ebcdic
    ---
    HTH,

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Thank you.

    I am not clear with the page you had give.

    1. I am looking for altering the standard sorting feature of excel.

    ELSE

    2. A macro that does the sort function in my style.

    I think this Mainframe style is what I require, but could not do with the function you gave.

    Thanks
    Vasanth

  4. #4
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Custom sorting

    There should be a link to the page
    Getting started with macros and user defined functions.

    You have to sort on the column with data that looks like garbage.

    So what happened instead of it working.
    ---