Remove all characters following the first character in a string

  1. #1
    RC
    Guest

    Remove all characters following the first character in a string

    In a spreadsheet containing a long list of names, with the last, first, and
    middle names in separate columns, what is the easiest way to replace each
    middle name with only a middle initial?

  2. #2
    Rowan
    Guest

    RE: Remove all characters following the first character in a string

    Assuming the middle names are in Column B, in another column (say D1) enter
    the formula =Left(B1) and copy it down.

    Hope this helps
    Rowan

  3. #3

    Re: Remove all characters following the first character in a string

    Do you need to keep the original middle names?

    If no, I'd select that column
    data|text to columns
    fixed width
    draw a line between the first and second character
    (and remove any that excel guessed)
    And choose to ignore (skip) the second column.

    If you need to keep the data, I'd use another column with a formula like:

    =left(c1,1)

    and drag down.

  4. #4
    Govind
    Guest

    Re: Remove all characters following the first character in a string

    Hi,

    Add another column and insert this formula there and copy it down to
    entire column.

    =LEFT(B1,1)

    where B1 is the Middle name. This formula will return the first
    character of the middle name which can be used as a middle name.

    If you want the middle name column to be replaced, copy this formula
    column and paste as value in the middle name column.

    Regards

    Govind.

  5. #5
    RC
    Guest

    RE: Remove all characters following the first character in a strin

    Thanks Rowan, since there several columns of data on either side of those
    middle names, I can insert a column, use the formula you recommended in the
    "new" column, and remove the "old" column with the middle names when finished.
    Thanks again,
    RC

  6. #6
    RC
    Guest

    Re: Remove all characters following the first character in a strin

    Thanks Dave, this worked out great, as the middle names were no longer needed.
    RC