xls file

  1. #1
    Vee Crossley
    Guest

    xls file

    Hello

    I wanted to open a compressed zip file which is an Excel spreadsheet, but
    windows could not open it. Apparently I need do download some software to be
    able to view this type of xls file. Could anybody help.

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor keithl816's Avatar
    Georgia
    MS-Off Ver
    Hi Vee

    If you do not have excel already on your computer click on the site below and download the excel viewer. All you will be able to do is view the spreadsheet you will not be able to make changes. If you need to open the compressed file you can go to downloads.com and download winzip.

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/P...displaylang=en

    hope this helps

    Larry
    Last edited by keithl816; 10-23-2005 at 02:47 PM.

  3. #3
    Chip Pearson
    Guest

    Re: xls file

    You can use WinZip or PKZip to unzip the compressed file. Search
    Google for free versions of these programs.

    --
    Cordially,
    Chip Pearson

    "Vee Crossley" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message
    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Vee Crossley
    Guest

    Re: xls file

    Hi there Chip!

    Thankyou so much for your quick reply, I will try this, and I will get back
    to you.
    Kindest Regards
    Vee

  5. #5
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: xls file

    Vee

    You must also have Excel installed on your computer to open the file after
    using one of the ZIP programs to unzip it.

    If you don't have Excel you could download the XLViewer that allows viewing
    and printing Excel files.

    http://office.microsoft.com/download.../xlviewer.aspx

    Note: this URL leads to the 2003 viewer.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  6. #6
    Vee Crossley
    Guest

    Re: xls file

    Hello Gord

    I have just discoverd that I could not open the file even with winzip, so I
    am taking your advise and downloading the xlviewer. Many thanks to you Gord,
    I will let you know how I have got on, thanks again.

    Kindest Regards
    Vee

  7. #7
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: xls file

    Vee

    WinZip would be used to unzip the file but not to open it.

    Excel or the viewer would be used to open once you had it unzipped.

    After running WinZip do you get an *.XLS file?

    Gord

  8. #8
    Vee Crossley
    Guest

    Re: xls file

    Hi Gord

    I downloaded the xlviewer and eveything is fine, so thankyou for you help
    and your time.

    Regards
    Vee

  9. #9
    Chip Pearson
    Guest

    Re: xls file

    WinZip simply unzips the compressed file in to the xls file. It
    doesn't open the file. Once you've unzipped the file, you can
    open it from within Excel.

  10. #10
    Vee Crossley
    Guest

    Re: xls file

    Hi there Keithl816

    Thank you for your reply, I have dowloaded the xlviewer and everything is
    fine. Thanks again for you time and your quick reply.

    Kindest Regards
    Vee

  11. #11
    Vee Crossley
    Guest

    Re: xls file

    Hi there Chip

    I said that I would get back to you.
    I have downloaded the winzip and the xlviewer and everything is fine. Thanks
    again to you.

    Regards
    Vee