Converting Date to Work Week...

  1. #1

    Converting Date to Work Week...

    Hello,

    I'm trying to convert a colum of entry dates to work weeks. I have a helper row for month and year but I do not know if there is a quick way (or a built in formula in excel) to determine the "work week" (within a month).

    For example:

    ENTRY DATE: Month: Work Week:
    8/26/05 August 4
    8/19/05 August 3

    etc.

    Is there a formula that I can drag down this list of about 1,800 rows with all different months?

    Thanks,

    PZan

  2. #2
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Converting Date to Work Week...

    On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 11:47:19 -0500, PokerZan
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I'm trying to convert a colum of entry dates to work weeks. I have a
    >helper row for month and year but I do not know if there is a quick way
    >(or a built in formula in excel) to determine the "work week" (within a
    >month).
    >
    >For example:
    >
    >ENTRY DATE: Month: Work Week:
    >8/26/05 August 4
    >8/19/05 August 3
    >
    >etc.
    >
    >Is there a formula that I can drag down this list of about 1,800 rows
    >with all different months?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >PZan

    It's probably possible, but you will have to define

    " 'work week' (within a month)"

    In other words, what is your definition of the first day of the first week?
    What day does the week change?

    August is too easy, since 1 Aug 2005 was a Monday.

    What week is 1 Sep 2005?
    What week is 5 Sep 2005?

    --ron

  3. #3
    Mike
    Guest

    RE: Converting Date to Work Week...

    There is no built in formula for work week.

  4. #4
    Well thanks guys, I was able to dig up a work around.

    I am using WEEKNUM to calculate annual weeks, then use the common weeks to gather my data on a weekly basis. When I thought about it a bit more having it broken down into monthly work weeks wasn't exactly necessary, the entry date just had to be in the same week (common).

    WEEKNUM is a great little tool that I had not used up to this point, but RTFM'd week number in help and it worked like a charm.

    All the best!

    PZan

  5. #5
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Converting Date to Work Week...

    On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 09:46:28 -0500, PokerZan
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Well thanks guys, I was able to dig up a work around.
    >
    >I am using WEEKNUM to calculate annual weeks, then use the common weeks
    >to gather my data on a weekly basis. When I thought about it a bit more
    >having it broken down into monthly work weeks wasn't exactly necessary,
    >the entry date just had to be in the same week (common).
    >
    >WEEKNUM is a great little tool that I had not used up to this point,
    >but RTFM'd week number in help and it worked like a charm.
    >
    >All the best!
    >
    >PZan

    The only problem with WEEKNUM, which may or may not be a problem for you but
    you should be aware of, is that there is a standard ISO weeknumber; and WEEKNUM
    does not conform to this specification.

    If this is an issue, post back.

    --ron