adding times

  1. #1
    Metalteck
    Guest

    adding times

    I have time periods that range from seconds to at least 10 minutes. When I
    try to format them appropriately, for example 1 minute and 53 seconds, it
    will only count the 53 seconds. How can I format this correctly, so that I
    can create a calculated field in the end.

  2. #2
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: adding times

    On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 12:23:03 -0700, Metalteck
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I have time periods that range from seconds to at least 10 minutes. When I
    >try to format them appropriately, for example 1 minute and 53 seconds, it
    >will only count the 53 seconds. How can I format this correctly, so that I
    >can create a calculated field in the end.

    If you are really entering them as Excel times; e.g. h:m:s (or h:mm:ss) then
    formatting as [m]:ss is what you want.

    But I suspect you may not be entering the values in a manner that Excel will
    understand as time.

    What, *exactly* are you entering?

    To enter 1 minute 53 seconds so Excel understands what you mean, the proper
    method would be:

    0:1:53

    (if your regional settings are not US, substitute your local time separator for
    the colon).

    --ron