Resetting values based on change in cells of other column

  1. #1
    NSteinner
    Guest

    Resetting values based on change in cells of other column

    I need help with doing the following logic in my worksheet

    A B C
    1 1 1
    1 2 2
    1 3 3
    2 4 1
    2 5 2

    I want column C to restart its incrementing whenever column switches to a
    new value.

    Any help would be appreciated.

  2. #2
    Gary's Student
    Guest

    RE: Resetting values based on change in cells of other column

    From you example, you want column C to increment unless Column A changes

    manually put 1 in C1 first

    Put =IF(A2=A1,C1+1,1)
    in cell C2 and copy down.