Summing a column, result coming up 0

  1. #1
    thomasjefferson
    Guest

    Summing a column, result coming up 0

    I'm trying to use a spreadsheet as a database for wedding invitations. In
    column F, I have assigned each row (each individual guest) a value of 1, 2,
    3, or 4 according to whether I judge they are definitely coming, probably,
    possibly, or doubtful. In the next column (column G), I have successfully
    managed to use the IF function to enter in each cell as a decimal number
    between 0 and 1 the probability that that guest will come. Here is the
    formula for the first cell in that column:
    =IF(F2=1,".95",IF(F2=2,".75",IF(F2=3,".45",IF(F2=4,".2"))))

    So far so good.

    Here's the problem. When I try to sum column G, with the formula
    =SUM(G2:G294), Excel insists that the answer is 0, even though I'm looking at
    a column of 293 cells, all of which have one of four results in them (i.e.,
    ..95, .75, .45, or .2). When I sum column G by hand, I get a result of 222.6.

    Please help me.

  2. #2
    Dodo
    Guest

    Re: Summing a column, result coming up 0

    =?Utf-8?B?dGhvbWFzamVmZmVyc29u?=
    <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > I'm trying to use a spreadsheet as a database for wedding invitations.
    > In column F, I have assigned each row (each individual guest) a value
    > of 1, 2, 3, or 4 according to whether I judge they are definitely
    > coming, probably, possibly, or doubtful. In the next column (column
    > G), I have successfully managed to use the IF function to enter in
    > each cell as a decimal number between 0 and 1 the probability that
    > that guest will come. Here is the formula for the first cell in that
    > column: =IF(F2=1,".95",IF(F2=2,".75",IF(F2=3,".45",IF(F2=4,".2"))))
    >
    > So far so good.
    >
    > Here's the problem. When I try to sum column G, with the formula
    > =SUM(G2:G294), Excel insists that the answer is 0, even though I'm
    > looking at a column of 293 cells, all of which have one of four
    > results in them (i.e., .95, .75, .45, or .2). When I sum column G by
    > hand, I get a result of 222.6.
    >
    > Please help me.

    That is because you do not assign values but text! Drop the " and the
    result will be better.

    --

    It is I, DeauDeau
    (Free after monsieur Leclerc in 'Allo, 'allo)

  3. #3
    KL
    Guest

    Re: Summing a column, result coming up 0

    Hi,

    Just remove all quotation marks (") from your formulae. Currently they
    return text (".45") instead of numeric values (.45).

    Regards,
    KL

    "thomasjefferson" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    bigwheel
    Guest

    RE: Summing a column, result coming up 0

    You get the answer 0 because you're summing text values. ".95" is text, but
    if you change the formula to
    =IF(F2=1,0.95,IF(F2=2,0.75,IF(F2=3,0.45,IF(F2=4,0.2)))) you will get numbers
    which will give you a total when you sum them.

  5. #5
    thomasjefferson
    Guest

    RE: Summing a column, result coming up 0

    Wow. You guys rock. Thank you so much for the simple answer to my dilemma.
    I tried Excel's help screen and Microsoft.com's database, but I just couldn't
    figure it out.