How do I prevent someone from deleting a workbook?

  1. #1
    JSP
    Guest

    How do I prevent someone from deleting a workbook?

    When I protect a workbook so that users cannot modify it without knowing the
    password, what prevents the user from doing the following:
    1. Open the workbook in read-only mode (I do want others to be able to read
    the workbook).
    2. Select save as and give the file a new name.
    3. Delete the original (password protected) workbook.
    4. Rename the new (unprotected workbook) to the name of the original
    workbook.
    5. Edit the workbook and then save the changes.

  2. #2
    Michael
    Guest

    RE: How do I prevent someone from deleting a workbook?

    'Cause when you save the protected workbook, it also saves the protection.
    Even when it is renamed, the protection remains.
    --
    Michael Mitchelson

  3. #3
    Earl Kiosterud
    Guest

    Re: How do I prevent someone from deleting a workbook?

    JSP,

    You're close. But I was hoping no one would start spreading that method
    around. You can protect the workbook (not the sheet) to prevent your method
    from being used within the workbook at the worksheets level (copying to
    another sheet). For file-level work (your example -- copying to another
    file), you can disallow deleting the file with your network or operating
    system permissions.
    --
    Earl Kiosterud
    www.smokeylake.com

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4

    Re: How do I prevent someone from deleting a workbook?

    Absolutely nothing.

    I always kept a back up copy and would look at the time/date stamp -- although
    there's nothing stopping them from modifying that, either.

    If you share this on a network drive, you may want to ask your IT folks for
    another sharename--only you (and trusted coworkers (when you're out of the
    office) can write, but all can read.

    But this will only stop people from overwriting your file--it won't stop them
    from saving locally and using that copy.

  5. #5
    Box
    Guest

    RE: How do I prevent someone from deleting a workbook?

    What you want is Adobe PDF. We use it to 'lock' Excel sheets. Everyone can
    look at the sheet but no one can change it.

    If you don't have Adobe Acrobat available and don't want to buy it, you can
    subscribe for a monthly fee at Adobe.com. If you won't use it enough to make
    even that worthwhile, Adobe provides 5 free samples. You select the file on
    your computer and Adobe will email you the file converted to PDF. You could
    create a new email address at yahoo.com or hotmail.com and get 5 free
    conversions for each new email address.

  6. #6
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: How do I prevent someone from deleting a workbook?

    There was a rather long thread a couple of weeks ago about the morality of
    using these groups to proliferate the procedures and codes for breaking
    passwords, considering that the identity of the questioner could not be
    verified in any way as being legally empowered to have such access to any
    particular XL file.

    I believe what you have done here, although certainly not innovative, to say
    the least, is use these groups to foster the misappropriation of something
    that each one of us here depends on ... software.

    RD

    news:[email protected]...