want to apply function to numerous cells

  1. #1
    ExcelQuestion
    Guest

    want to apply function to numerous cells

    HI,

    Basically I want to divide a number of cells by a number in another cell. So
    say, A1 through A10 by C3. However, I do not want to make the change
    permanent, and I want to be able to see what the values would be if C3
    changes. So apart from manually going thru and adding the = and /C3 is there
    a way to map that = xC3 to the original cells. (I know its a circular
    reference of sorts, but can i write a macro to perform that task for me.. or
    is there some other way?)
    Thanks

  2. #2
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: want to apply function to numerous cells

    try
    =a1/$c$3
    and copy down to a10
    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    ExcelQuestion
    Guest

    Re: want to apply function to numerous cells

    No, that doesnt work. Remember i'm trying to replace the value that is
    already in A1 with the 'new' value based on this formula. I'm not trying to
    put the new values into a new column.

  4. #4
    Gary''s Student
    Guest

    Re: want to apply function to numerous cells

    First copy the value in C3 to an un-used cell (not a formula, the value)
    Then copy the previously un-used cell and paste it special onto the A cells
    with the divide button checked.

    Becaue the divide buton was checked for the paste, the set of A cells will
    all be divided by the value in C3.
    --
    Gary''s Student