Pivot Table Total/Subtotals

  1. #1

    Pivot Table Total/Subtotals

    Hi all

    I have data with the following structure (column headings):

    Category Brand Group M1 M2 M3... M12

    where M1 is month 1, M2 is month 2, etc.

    I would like a pivot table that I can manipulate in different ways to
    show totals by month, quarter and year. Question is, can I keep the
    months in columns to do this, or do I need a different row for each
    month?

    Thanks in advance

    Paul Martin
    Melbourne, Australia

  2. #2
    Govind
    Guest

    Re: Pivot Table Total/Subtotals

    Hi,

    Keep months in column or row and then use the Group feature. To do this,
    right click on the Pivot table and select Group and choose your grouping
    options there.

    When you use grouping, there shouldn't be any blank rows in the Pivot's
    range.

    Regards

    Govind.

  3. #3

    Re: Pivot Table Total/Subtotals

    Thanks Govind.

    I found part of my solution by placing the months as data fields and
    then dragging the Data grey button onto the Totals label. I tried your
    suggestion, but got a message "Cannot group that selection". I have
    replaced any blank data rows with zeroes, but still same message.
    What's the problem here?

    Thanks in advance

    Paul Martin
    Melbourne, Australia

  4. #4
    Govind
    Guest

    Re: Pivot Table Total/Subtotals

    Hi,

    What is the format in which you have typed your months? The grouping is
    possible only if you type your months in any valid date format. For eg.
    Aug-05. However, if you are using say 1 for Jan'05 and so on, then
    grouping wont be possible in such a case.

    Regards

    Govind.

  5. #5

    Re: Pivot Table Total/Subtotals

    The column headings are simple labels: M1, M2 to M12, so this shouldn't
    be an issue.
    The data in each row/column are simple numeric, so again, I can't see
    that this should be an issue.

    Paul Martin
    Melbourne, Australia