Excel keeps crashing when I try to format any cells?

  1. #1
    AFlatt
    Guest

    Excel keeps crashing when I try to format any cells?

    Every time I try to format a cell in excel the program crashes on me. I've
    run a virus check and I can't find any viruses. I seem to have enough space
    on my computer. What could be the problem??

  2. #2
    CLR
    Guest

    RE: Excel keeps crashing when I try to format any cells?

    Does this occur only on one file, or any? If only on one, does it occur with
    that file if it is run on another machine?

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

  3. #3
    AFlatt
    Guest

    RE: Excel keeps crashing when I try to format any cells?

    It occurs on all files. It only seems to happen on my computer.
    Regards,
    Alexandra

  4. #4
    CLR
    Guest

    RE: Excel keeps crashing when I try to format any cells?

    Well, if the offending files work fine on another computer and any file
    offends on your computer, then I think under those circumstances, I would
    just re-install Office/Excel.

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

  5. #5
    AFlatt
    Guest

    RE: Excel keeps crashing when I try to format any cells?

    Thanks for replying...
    I just tried re-installing Office and the problem continues. Any other
    ideas??
    Regards,
    Alexandra

  6. #6
    CLR
    Guest

    RE: Excel keeps crashing when I try to format any cells?

    With a clean re-install of Office, and the problem remaining on any file,
    then it pretty much has to be a machine problem. Memory, OS, virus, or
    hardware. Double check everything, and try another program to see if you
    have abnormalities there also....and with that program running in the
    background, see if you still have the format problem in Excel. Make sure
    your XLstart folder is empty so as not to cause any external problem from
    there. Disable any Add-ins you have installed. Have you recently
    installed another program, Drivers, and/or Operating Systems?

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

  7. #7
    AFlatt
    Guest

    RE: Excel keeps crashing when I try to format any cells?

    All my other programs are running fine. I can even do pivots in excel
    without any problem. I have used slightly less than 1/2 of my hard drive.
    The XLstart folder was empty and I disabled all my add-ins. The problem
    still persists. Would you suggest removing office and installing office from
    scratch (I just did a re-install)? It is a DELL computer. Should I contact
    them??

    Thanks very much for your help.
    Regards,
    Alexandra

  8. #8
    AFlatt
    Guest

    RE: Excel keeps crashing when I try to format any cells?

    I forgot to mention, the only install I've done lately is Norton Ghost. I
    installed the program and backed up my computer with it??

  9. #9
    CLR
    Guest

    RE: Excel keeps crashing when I try to format any cells?

    Ok, since you have a backup now, I would first try just un-installing Ghost
    and see if that fixes the problem, if not, then un-install Office and do a
    complete new install......methinks that should do it.........I've never heard
    of this problem per se, but I recently read about how new programs being
    installed sometimes update some DLL files and the updates are not always
    compatible with the previously installed programs. Don't know if thats the
    case here, but it sure sounds liike it. Completely un-installing both Ghost
    and Office should get rid of any problem like that and then a clean install
    of Office should start working ok.........and remember, if this solves it,
    your backup still has the problem and should probably eventually be
    replaced......or at least not counted on for it's Excel to work........

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

  10. #10
    AFlatt
    Guest

    RE: Excel keeps crashing when I try to format any cells?

    I've taken Norton Ghost off now and tried a simple re-install of Office but,
    that didn't work. I'll remove Office tonight and then install it again from
    the CD and see if that helps. Thanks for all of your advice... Hopefully, I
    can clear this up...
    Regards,
    Alexandra

  11. #11
    AFlatt

  12. #12
    AFlatt
    Guest

    RE: Excel keeps crashing when I try to format any cells?

    Are you still around???

    I did everything you suggested and the problem still persists!!! I can't
    seem to format in excel. I completely removed microsoft office and
    re-installed from a new set of diskettes that I asked Dell to send to me.
    Even with the new diskettes the problem continues. I have no idea what to do
    next!!! Neither does Dell.

    Any thoughts??
    Regards,
    Alexandra

  13. #13
    Forum Contributor
    6,195
    For a little more information, what version of Office are you running?
    and is it just a single cell that you cannot format? - can you highlight (say) 4 cells or a whole row or a whole column, and try to format?
    Try the right-mouse Format, the Formula bar Format, Cells option, and the CTRL/1 option.

    If you highlight a cell can you CTRL/2 to set the Bold, CTRL/3 to set the Italic, and CTRL/4 to set the Underline? or is it just the Format Cells window that you cannot open?

    If you View, Toolbars and make sure Formatting is ticked, can you apply the various formats to a cell or group of cells?

    Are there any more clues?

    Quote Originally Posted by AFlatt

  14. #14
    AFlatt
    Guest

    Re: Excel keeps crashing when I try to format any cells?

    I'm running Microsoft Office PRofessional Edition 2003. When I use the
    Format - Cells off the menu I can't format a thing. When I press the percent
    sign on the menu bar I can change a number to a percent but, I can't add
    decimals (or it will crash). It doesn't matter if it's a range or a single
    cell. I can use control-B to bold and control-I but, it crashes on contol-U
    to underline. The right mouse button also crashes.

    Any ideas??
    Regards,
    Alexandra

  15. #15
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Excel keeps crashing when I try to format any cells?

    Hard to troubleshoot something like this but try searching for your
    Excel11.xlb file with Excel closed out.

    When found(there may be more than one) rename to Excel11.old then open Excel.

    Excel will re-build the Excel11.xlb file to default and may stop the problem
    you are having.

    Any customizations you have will be gone.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  16. #16
    AFlatt
    Guest

    Re: Excel keeps crashing when I try to format any cells?

    I did as you suggested and I'm still having the problem. Would it be worth
    uninstalling, defragmenting and then installing again??

    One odd thing I noticed... when excel opens the "running virus scan" seems
    to run longer than it used to. Maybe I'm searching for something but, I'm
    not sure if that might have anything to do with it??

    Regards,
    Alexandra

  17. #17
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Excel keeps crashing when I try to format any cells?

    Have you tried "Detect and Repair" from the Help menu?

    The virus scan is a function of your Virus Scanning application, not Excel.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  18. #18
    AFlatt
    Guest

    Re: Excel keeps crashing when I try to format any cells?

    I uninstalled it again, defragmented my computer, shut it down, re-installed
    and then ran the detect and repair (I selected to set the computer back to
    its defaults) and the problem still persists!!! I'm feelilng very, very
    discouraged.

    Regards,
    Alexandra

  19. #19

    Re: Excel keeps crashing when I try to format any cells?

    Does it happen if you start excel in Safe mode:

    Close excel
    windows start button|run
    excel /safe

    When you start excel in safe mode, lots of things are disabled--macros, *.xlb
    (toolbar customizations).

    There have been lots of posts about not being able to find the *.xlb file--maybe
    you didn't find the "real" *.xlb (my fingers are crossed).

  20. #20
    AFlatt
    Guest

    Re: Excel keeps crashing when I try to format any cells?

    Yes it does!!!

  21. #21

    Re: Excel keeps crashing when I try to format any cells?

    Wild guesses follow!

    How about if you change to a different printer driver (even if you don't have
    that physical printer).

    How about if you update your video drivers?

  22. #22
    JB_Eastie
    Guest

    Re: Excel keeps crashing when I try to format any cells?

    I may be late in my reponse, but I can almost gaurantee that this is a user
    profile problem. If you log into the computer as a different user, I suspect
    Excel will stop crashing. So the trick is discovering where the bug is in
    the profile. The only solution I have to this problem is creating a new one.
    Hate to open this can of worms again, but if anyone has the answer..I am all
    ears.

  23. #23
    Argentina
    MS-Off Ver

    Re: Excel keeps crashing when I try to format any cells?

    This is a old post, but is still shown in the top results of Google.

    The solution that I found, suggeted by StephenMoniz:
    Make sure you put you default printer as Micrsoft PDF Document writer.

  24. #24
    Administrator FDibbins's Avatar
    Duncansville, PA USA
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 7/10/13/16/365 (PC ver 2310)
    Posts
    52,926

    Re: Excel keeps crashing when I try to format any cells?

    Thanks for the feedback
    1. Use code tags for VBA. [code] Your Code [/code] (or use the # button)
    2. If your question is resolved, mark it SOLVED using the thread tools
    3. Click on the star if you think someone helped you

    Regards
    Ford