# of Rows Handled By Excel

  1. #1
    rossdross
    Guest

    # of Rows Handled By Excel

    Any particular reason why excel still only handles 65k or so rows worth of
    data?

    I am an excel guru but my access skills are limited. I HATE that I can't do
    some projects simply because the program can't handle more than 65k lines of
    data.

    I understand the system limitations (vlookups on 65k of data can bring a
    computer to a halt) but I will love the ability to manipulate 120k rows worth
    of data.

    Is this ever going to be changed? Myself and my fellow financial analysts
    would LOVE this!

    --
    Dan Ross

    ----------------
    click "I Agree" in the message pane.

  2. #2
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: # of Rows Handled By Excel

    It still only handles 65536 rows since rewriting the application code to
    allow more is a massive undertaking. 65536 is 2^16, which means that the
    number of rows fits exactly in 2 bytes. To increase the number of rows
    would require at least 3 bytes - and would likely impact nearly every
    aspect of XL's calculation engine.

    As to whether it will be changed: if it were, those that know couldn't
    tell you (due to non-disclosure agreements).

    Aaron Kempf may be along in a bit to tell you why data sets with more
    than 65K records belong in a database. He's probably right in that
    (though he's deluded himself into thinking that dbs should be used
    *instead* of XL under all circumstances).

    Of course, you could break your data set up into more sheets or
    columns...