How do I get entries over 1000 characters to display in a cell?

  1. #1
    Mike in Berkeley
    Guest

    How do I get entries over 1000 characters to display in a cell?

    I'm converting a paper form to an excel version. I need one cell for the
    user to enter a narrative. I want the printed copy to show the full entry.
    I think 2000 to 2500 characters is probably long enough for most users.
    The problem I'm running into is text that stops wrapping after about a 1000
    characters.
    Thanks for any help.

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    6,195
    Whilst there is the method of inserting ctrl/enter characters to reflect more text you will find the odd user who will demand that 'more' characters are displayed.

    This, of course, also applies to printing.

    One method is to insert 31 following rows as helper rows, and a formula of
    =mid(A1,1024,1024)
    =mid(A1,2048,1024)
    =mid(A1,3072,1024)
    etc etc

    This will display the full 32,768 characters permitted in a cell, and will print the same.

    It is messy, and I would recommend the use of a Word processor for volume text processing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike in Berkeley

  3. #3
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: How do I get entries over 1000 characters to display in a cell?

    Hi Mike

    The Excel limitation or characters in a cell is 32767, but there is a
    display limitation of 1000 characters.

    You can overcome this if you have line breaks in your text. Whilst typing,
    enter Alt+Enter after a number of sentences to force a new line.

    You can insert the character for line feed CHAR(10) with a formula if
    required e.g. in an adjacent column you could enter
    =LEFT(A1,900)&CHAR(10)&MID(A1,901,900)&CHAR(10)&MID(A1,1801,900)

    --
    Regards
    Roger Govier

  4. #4
    Chip Pearson
    Guest

    Re: How do I get entries over 1000 characters to display in a cell?

    You might want to consider putting the text in a TextBox control
    rather than directly on the worksheet.

    news:[email protected]...