Formula

  1. #1

    Formula

    I need to create an excel spreadsheet using a math equation that has one
    variable that is the denominator of a fraction. I need to be able to change
    the variable every row. Ie - starting variable is 3 and last variable is
    101. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you

  2. #2
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Formula

    On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 15:31:07 -0700, "V" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I need to create an excel spreadsheet using a math equation that has one
    >variable that is the denominator of a fraction. I need to be able to change
    >the variable every row. Ie - starting variable is 3 and last variable is
    >101. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you

    5 =CONSTANT/(ROW()-2)

    As you copy/drag the formula down, the ROW()-2 parameter will increment by one
    for each row. Adjust the 2 for whatever row your formula starts in.

    --ron

  3. #3
    Sandy Mann
    Guest

    Re: Formula

    Are the formulas in consecutive rows? If so then us the ROW() function to
    supply the denominators.

    For example, starting in Row 10 if the formula is the sum od A10, B10 & C10
    divided by 3 then

    =SUM(A10:C10)/(ROW()-ROW($A$7))

    will provide the answer and it will index the denominator as it is dragged
    down the column.

    (ROW()-7) would work just as well but it will go wrong if a row in inserted
    or deleted.

    Sandy
    [email protected]
    Replace@mailinator with @tiscali.co.uk

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4

    Re: Formula

    Thanks for the response. I actually needs the very basics on how to even put
    the formula in excel. I am doing this for a class and have no idea how to
    use excel. I thought it would be easier than it is.

    Thanks,

  5. #5
    PY & Associates
    Guest

    Re: Formula

    Is this alright?

    for i = 1 to NrOfRows
    cells(i, AnsCol)=function(cells(i,VarCol))
    next i

  6. #6

    Re: Formula

    Thanks for the response. I don't know what to do with the formulas. I have
    to put this together for a class and don't know anything about excel. I
    thought I could figure it out, but it is much harder than I thought.

    Thanks,

  7. #7
    Forum Contributor
    6,195
    The easy way,

    put your Numerator in cell A1 (ie, click on cell A1 and type 5 then press enter)

    in cell A3 put a 3 (the first denominator)
    click on cell A3 and hold the CTRL key down and drag the small square (which becomes a + sign) in the bottom right corner of the highlight to row 101 (the last denominator required).

    In cell B3 put

    =$A$1/A3

    where $a says ALWAYS use column A, $1 says ALWAYS use row 1.

    click on cell B3, and double-click the small square (the + sign) in the highlight.

    This should copy the formula to B101

    click on the B header in column B to highlight the whole column, and then Rightmouse that B and select Format Cells
    In the Number tab, select Fraction and select (say) Up to 3 digits

    Is this what you require? (see sample attached)

    Quote Originally Posted by V

    "PY & Associates" wrote:

    > Is this alright?
    >
    > for i = 1 to NrOfRows
    > cells(i, AnsCol)=function(cells(i,VarCol))
    > next i
    >
    > "V" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I need to create an excel spreadsheet using a math equation that has one
    > > variable that is the denominator of a fraction. I need to be able to

    > change
    > > the variable every row. Ie - starting variable is 3 and last variable is
    > > 101. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you

    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Bryan Hessey; 09-11-2005 at 06:09 AM.

  8. #8

    Re: Formula

    Thank you. This was very helpful. I used your info and completed all of my
    remaining columns of data. (I had to put in several additional fractions
    multiplying the denominator by different terms.) I have one last quick
    question:

    Is there anyway to keep excel from reducing the fraction to lowest terms?
    (Ie - 2/4 to 1/2)

    Thank you so much for your assistance - I really appreciate you taking the
    time to answer my question.

    Valerie

  9. #9
    Forum Contributor
    6,195
    Valerie,

    Glad that helped, but I am not aware of any method to retain the 'improper' fraction.