how to format only specific characters or numbers within each cellwithin a range of cells

  1. #1
    Colleen
    Guest

    how to format only specific characters or numbers within each cellwithin a range of cells

    I am sending this to several Excel newsgroups, because I am not sure
    which one if the most appropriate. I apologize in advance for the
    multiple postings. I have MS Excel 2000 (version 9.0.3821 SR-1). How
    can I format only a selected character or number within each cell in a
    specific range of cells? For instance if I have a cell containing
    1234234, how can I format it so that only the 2s are bold or are
    colored? Obviously, I have a range of cells, and I want to format all
    the 2s occurring in any of the cells as either bold or colored.
    Conditional formatting does not seem to allow me to do this, and I have
    been unable to find a formula that will accomplish this. Can someone help?
    Thank you.
    Colleen

  2. #2
    Mike
    Guest

    RE: how to format only specific characters or numbers within each cell

    Pay for a custom made font.

  3. #3
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: how to format only specific characters or numbers within each cell within a range of cells

    On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 15:17:19 GMT, Colleen <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I am sending this to several Excel newsgroups, because I am not sure
    >which one if the most appropriate. I apologize in advance for the
    >multiple postings. I have MS Excel 2000 (version 9.0.3821 SR-1). How
    >can I format only a selected character or number within each cell in a
    >specific range of cells? For instance if I have a cell containing
    >1234234, how can I format it so that only the 2s are bold or are
    >colored? Obviously, I have a range of cells, and I want to format all
    >the 2s occurring in any of the cells as either bold or colored.
    >Conditional formatting does not seem to allow me to do this, and I have
    >been unable to find a formula that will accomplish this. Can someone help?
    >Thank you.
    > Colleen

    See one solution in .public.excel

    Most people read most of the NG's, so it is only necessary to post to one.

    --ron

  4. #4

    Re: how to format only specific characters or numbers within eachcellwithin a range of cells

    If you're going to post to multiple groups, you can include each of those groups
    in your header. Then you send one message out that gets crossposted to all the
    included groups.

    By sending out single posts multiple times, then each post looks like it's
    unique.

    You could waste the time of anyone answering you (when you have an answer to a
    post in a different newsgroup).

    You could waste your time by having to go to each of those posts and find out
    the one you like best.

    You could even lose the added benefit of one post correcting/enhancing another.

    By crossposting, all the followups will go to each of the newsgroups.

    But, inside the excel newsgroups, even crossposting isn't really necessary.

  5. #5
    Colleen
    Guest

    Re: how to format only specific characters or numbers within eachcellwithin a range of cells

    Thanks for the suggestion. For some reason, in the past, I have had
    different results with different newsgroups at different times.
    Sometimes I seem to get the best response from one group and other times
    I seem to get it from a different group. That's why I always indicate
    in my message that I have posted it to more than one newsgroup. I will
    try your suggestion the next time I need to post.

    Thank you.
    Colleen