Frequency Formula

  1. #1
    Rich Z
    Guest

    Frequency Formula

    Can some one please hlep me to right a formula to find the amount of times a
    certain numbers shows up with in a series of numbers.

    For example if i have
    (column A)
    2 (row 1)
    4 (row 7)

    and i wanted to write a formula to show me how many times the numbers 2 and
    3 appear with in that series how do i write it.

    i have been playing with =frequency(A1:A7,2) just to find one number
    thinking that would give me the number of times 2 shows up but that gives me
    the number of times a number a number 2 or less then 2 shows up. I have been
    trying for 2 hours now to get this to work. someone please help.

    thanks

    rich

  2. #2
    Rowan
    Guest

    Re: Frequency Formula

    try

    =COUNTIF(A1:A7,2)

    Hope this helps
    Rowan

  3. #3
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Frequency Formula

    Hi Rich

    One way
    =COUNTIF($A$1:$A$7,"=2")
    change the 2 to 3 etc. for other counts.

    If you wanted to put the numbers required in other cells e.g. say you had 2
    in B1 and 3 in B2 then
    =COUNTIF($A$1:$A$7,"="&B1)
    and copy down

    Regards