Help building Group Expense Sheet with Equal Allocation

  1. #1
    Delray Beach, FL

    Help building Group Expense Sheet with Equal Allocation

    undefinedundefined
    I am trying to build a Spreadsheet that will allow me to distribute costs equally to all members of the group for vacation purposes. For instance, if there are 10 members, and one group member pays $100, and another pays $50, and the rest of the group does not contribute. That means that each member is required to pay $15, but b/c members 1 & 2 already paid, they are entitled to reimbursement. What I want to be able to calculate is how much each person in the group owes the other people. Obviously person one is entitled to $85 and member 2 is entitled to $35, but I want to show where these funds are coming from.

    I apologize if this is not the right forum as this is my first post. I genuinely appreciate any help, and if further clarfication is needed please advise.

    Thank you.

    Jeremy

  2. #2
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Help building Group Expense Sheet with Equal Allocation

    Hi Jeremy

    Set up headings in A1:C1 of Name, Paid, To Pay
    In A2:A11 Enter names of members
    In B2:B11 Enter amounts already paid

    In B22 enter =SUM(B2:B21)
    (this is to allow you to add further group members if required)
    In C2 enter =IF(A2="","",$B$22/COUNTA($A$2:$A$21)-B2)
    and copy down the range C3:C21

    This will then show the amount of funds to be paid by each member (negative
    if overpaid already). If you add more members, then it will allocate any
    further payments / refunds.

    Regards

    Roger Govier

  3. #3
    Delray Beach, FL
    Roger - thank you for the response. Although your formulas are more efficient than mine, we still end up at the same place.

    Using your examples, I created five members. Jeremy, Brian, Steve, Joe and Dave. Paying 50, 20, 30, 25 and 15 respectively. That results in -22,8,-2,3, and 13. So that checks can be written to each person I want to be able to say Dave owes "X Name" this much and thus he has satisifed all his debt as well as the creditor involved. Does this make sense?

    In the example above Jeremy is owed 22 dollars, but I want to create the most efficient way to get Jeremy paid with the minimal amount of transactions. I don't know if this can be done, but I am hoping it can.

    Thank you in advance.

  4. #4
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Help building Group Expense Sheet with Equal Allocation

    I guess somebody might come up with a solution for you, but I can't see an
    easy resolution to this one.

    Testing various amounts paid, it seems to me that in most cases, 4 cheques
    have to be written. In your scenario, either Brian, Joe and Dave each pay
    their deficits to Jeremy, and he pays the surplus 2 ($'s, £'s or whatever)
    to Steve, or one of Brian, Joe or Dave split their payment as £2 to Steve
    with the balance to Jeremy, whilst the other two pay their full amounts to
    Jeremy.

    Whichever way, 4 cheques are required.

    Time for bed now, so no further thoughts for tonight.

    Regards

    Roger Govier