How do I view Pivot Table source data file and field names?

  1. #1
    chocolate2346
    Guest

    How do I view Pivot Table source data file and field names?

    I'd like information on how you can view the name/reference for the source
    data of a Pivot Table. For Example, in MS Access and Cognos Impromptu you
    can go to SQL view and see where data in a Query is coming from. It's easy
    to find the source of formulas in Excel, using the Audit Toolbar. I'd like a
    way to quickly view the file name (whether an Excel file or external source)
    and field names that were used to create the Pivot Table.

  2. #2
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Verwood, Dorset, England
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2000
    Quote Originally Posted by chocolate2346
    I'd like information on how you can view the name/reference for the source
    data of a Pivot Table. For Example, in MS Access and Cognos Impromptu you
    can go to SQL view and see where data in a Query is coming from. It's easy
    to find the source of formulas in Excel, using the Audit Toolbar. I'd like a
    way to quickly view the file name (whether an Excel file or external source)
    and field names that were used to create the Pivot Table.
    Hi chocolate2346

    Try this, right click on the Pivot Table, click Wizard, a dialogue box will appear, click the Back button, a second dialogue box will appear that shows the source of the data
    Paul

  3. #3
    chocolate2346
    Guest

    Re: How do I view Pivot Table source data file and field names?

    No, I'm sorry but the suggestion does not give me what I'm looking for. For
    example, the Pivot Tables that I'm currently working with are created from
    queries in MS Access databases. When I click the back button as suggested,
    below, I get the Get Data button. When I click the Get Data button, I get a
    list of "Available Tables and Columns". I cannot see what the name of the
    ..mdb file is that the Tables and Columns/Fields are coming from. That window
    also shows a list of "Columns in your query". However, it does not identify
    the Table or Query that each column came from.

  4. #4
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: How do I view Pivot Table source data file and field names?

    You can use programming to print the commandtext:

    Sub PrintCommandText()
    Debug.Print ActiveWorkbook.PivotCaches(1).CommandText
    End Sub

    chocolate2346 wrote:
    > I'd like information on how you can view the name/reference for the source
    > data of a Pivot Table. For Example, in MS Access and Cognos Impromptu you
    > can go to SQL view and see where data in a Query is coming from. It's easy
    > to find the source of formulas in Excel, using the Audit Toolbar. I'd like a
    > way to quickly view the file name (whether an Excel file or external source)
    > and field names that were used to create the Pivot Table.

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
    http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

  5. #5
    chocolate2346
    Guest

    RE: How do I view Pivot Table source data file and field names?

    I found it!!

    Go to Tools, Macro, Microsoft Script Editor. Do a search (Ctrl + F) for
    QuerySource. It takes me to just what I'm looking for. It shows the Name of
    the file and the Query/Table and Fields.

    Hooray!