view multiple files in multiple windows on multiple screens.

  1. #1
    tcom
    Guest

    view multiple files in multiple windows on multiple screens.

    I have two monitors and like to have two documents open and maximized at the
    same time to compate and what not. I can do this in Word but not in Excel
    nor Powerpoint. "Windows in the Taskbar" doens't do this. It's got to be an
    option or something. I was able to do this in Excel in the past.

  2. #2

    Re: view multiple files in multiple windows on multiple screens.

    I don't use multiple monitors.

    But there have been a few posts that starting separate instances of excel will
    do what you want.

    To be able to start a second instance, you can create a new shortcut on your
    desktop that points to excel.exe.

    Then use file|open to open any workbook you want.

    Be aware that working with two workbooks in separate instances does make life
    tougher and things may not work the way you expect. (Copying formulas from one
    workbook to another workbook, for instance.)

  3. #3
    tcom
    Guest

    Re: view multiple files in multiple windows on multiple screens.

    The thing is, I was able to do this before I upgraded to Office 2003. I
    didn't have to do all this round about stuff to view two docs maximized on
    different monitors. The thing is, on some computers I use with the same
    version of Office, some will allow me to do this, while others don't. So it
    has to be something in the configuration.

  4. #4

    Re: view multiple files in multiple windows on multiple screens.

    I bet if you go to one of those pc's that's running the older version and test
    it out, you'll find that you have multiple instances of excel running.

    Get both workbooks open in separate monitors.
    Then look under Window on the worksheet menu bar.
    I'm betting that you don't see the name of the other open workbook.

  5. #5

    Re: view multiple files in multiple windows on multiple screens.

    This may help (or hurt).

    If you open files by double clicking on them in windows explorer....

    You could try:

    Tools|options|General tab|Ignore other applications (check it)

    Then double click on the workbook in windows explorer.

    And be aware that turning this setting on sometimes gives errors with workbooks
    that contain spaces in their path/name:

    C:\my documents\excel\my book.xls

    The error will look kind of like:
    cannot find c:\my ..
    then
    cannot find documents\excel\my
    then
    cannot find book.xls

    Or it may just open excel and not show you the file that you clicked on.

  6. #6
    tcom
    Guest

    Re: view multiple files in multiple windows on multiple screens.

    How do you get multiple instances? In Word, I can open multiple files in
    multiple windows with no special tricks. I know the same can be done with
    Excel somehow.

  7. #7

    Re: view multiple files in multiple windows on multiple screens.

    > > > To be able to start a second instance, you can create a new shortcut on your
    > > > desktop that points to excel.exe.

    Or you can just use
    windows start button|run
    excel
    and hit enter.

  8. #8
    tcom
    Guest

    Re: view multiple files in multiple windows on multiple screens.

    I think the "Ignore other applications" is the correct way to go, but it
    doesn't work right and I think it's a bug. It does open another instance
    each time you double click on a file but the file doesn't show up, and that's
    the bug. Essentially, what i wanted was to be able double click on any excel
    file and each time it would open the file in a new instance. Office XP did
    this with no special tricks. I really think that this is a bug in the
    program. But I'll make do until Microsoft decides to fix it.