Anyone else use Excel for their investment info

  1. #1
    - Bobb -
    Guest

    Anyone else use Excel for their investment info

    I use Excel to track my finances - using my Money info - to get it better
    organized , charting, newsletter allocations ,etc Anyone else do this ?
    anything onlline ? ... I'd like to compare notes - get ideas ... on how
    you .... ? Maybe swap a few speadsheets (with the data fields empty)

    or after a major overhaul of portfolio, how to track "old data" ... do you
    create a new tab for latest info ?
    Leave on same sheet but move offscreen , etc

    Or, on my sheet that shows my allocation pie chart .... I do not want to see
    anything with a $0 balance- but the next week they may be something in that
    field. How to easily add new items ? how to easily "see today's view" at a
    later date ?

    Bobb

  2. #2
    - Bobb -
    Guest

    Re: Anyone else use Excel for their investment info

    I misspoke .. I do my finances in Money, but the stuff that money doesn't do
    ..... like 2,4,7 week portfolio moving averages, pie-charts, Morningstar-like
    allocation tables for my mutual funds etc I do by using the data from Money.

    THAT's what I'm looking to tweak

    Bobb
    ---------------------------
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Michael Gordon, MVP
    Guest

    Re: Anyone else use Excel for their investment info

    I use Money data in Excel for two purposes:
    1. To Track IRR on an specific investment.
    2. To calculate and track asset allocation (the Money categories are, for my
    needs, useless).

    --
    Michael Gordon
    MVP

    news:%[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Barrnabas Collins
    Guest

    Re: Anyone else use Excel for their investment info

    On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 14:52:28 -0500, "Michael Gordon, MVP"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I use Money data in Excel for two purposes:
    >1. To Track IRR on an specific investment.
    >2. To calculate and track asset allocation (the Money categories are, for my
    >needs, useless).

    I set up a Lotus 123 spreadsheet many years ago to track my
    investments. Years ago I migrated it to Excel where it now
    resides.

    I've never tried putting into money. The spreadsheet has served me
    well for 10+ years now.

  5. #5
    Bill Sharpe

    Barrnabas Collins wrote:
    > On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 14:52:28 -0500, "Michael Gordon, MVP"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>I use Money data in Excel for two purposes:
    >>1. To Track IRR on an specific investment.
    >>2. To calculate and track asset allocation (the Money categories are, for my
    >>needs, useless).

    > I set up a Lotus 123 spreadsheet many years ago to track my
    > investments. Years ago I migrated it to Excel where it now
    > resides.
    >
    > I've never tried putting into money. The spreadsheet has served me
    > well for 10+ years now.

    I've been using Excel's MoneyCentral add-in to track my mutual fund
    portfolio for several years. I can update each fund's price daily just
    by clicking once on the add-in's Update Now button.

    Bill

  6. #6
    - Bobb -
    Guest

    Re: Anyone else use Excel for their investment info

    Curious...
    Why are you in the Money newsgroup ?

    Bobb

    "Barrnabas Collins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 14:52:28 -0500, "Michael Gordon, MVP"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >I use Money data in Excel for two purposes:
    > >1. To Track IRR on an specific investment.
    > >2. To calculate and track asset allocation (the Money categories are, for

    my
    > >needs, useless).

    > I set up a Lotus 123 spreadsheet many years ago to track my
    > investments. Years ago I migrated it to Excel where it now
    > resides.
    >
    > I've never tried putting into money. The spreadsheet has served me
    > well for 10+ years now.

    News==----

    Newsgroups

    =----

  7. #7
    Jim M.
    Guest

    Re: Anyone else use Excel for their investment info

    I cannot find the add-in you referenced on the MS/Excel web site. Could you
    tell me where I might find the add-in?

    Jim

  8. #8
    Cal Learner-- MVP

    In microsoft.public.money, Jim M. wrote:

    >I cannot find the add-in you referenced on the MS/Excel web site. Could you
    >tell me where I might find the add-in?

    http://www.ultrasoft.com/MoneyLink/download.shtml

    There is also a link via
    http://www.microsoft.com/money/Impor...taToExcel.mspx