Hyperlink to another row broken if inserting new row between, Help

  1. #1
    KJM
    Guest

    Hyperlink to another row broken if inserting new row between, Help

    I created a sheet with hyperlinks to other cells in different rows that point
    hyperlink and it works well. Problem is that if I add new rows between the
    two rows, the hyperlink for the lower numbered row is off by 1 row less than
    hyperlink it orginally pointed to. I use Excel 2000.

    Does newer versions of Excel have the smarts to do what normal linking does?
    Is there a VBA script that can relink my broken links based on a column with
    a common number to each row? I dont want to have to write this if it already
    exists.

    Thanks in advance.
    KJM

  2. #2

    Re: Hyperlink to another row broken if inserting new row between, Help

    It depends on a few things...

    How did you create the hyperlink?
    Is that cell in the hyperlink in a worksheet in the same workbook?
    If it's a different workbook, is that other workbook open?

    If you used insert|hyperlink (no matter what the other answers are), I think the
    easiest solution would be to name that range that your link points to
    (Insert|name|define). Then use that name when you create the hyperlink.

    If you used the =hyperlink() worksheet formula and you're staying within the
    same workbook (or that other workbook is open), then you can use this kind of
    formula (from a David McRitchie post):

    =HYPERLINK("#"&CELL("address",C5),C5)
    =HYPERLINK("#"&CELL("address",sheetone!C5),sheetone!C5)
    =HYPERLINK("#"&CELL("address",'sheet two'!C5),'sheet two'!C5)

    If the link points to another workbook and that other workbook is closed, then
    use a range name in the worksheet function, too.