Deleting Rows in MS Excel

  1. #1
    MacK
    Guest

    Deleting Rows in MS Excel

    How can I delete every other row on an Excel worksheet without highlighting
    and deleting each row in turn?
    --
    MacK

  2. #2
    Michael
    Guest

    RE: Deleting Rows in MS Excel

    Hi Mack
    If this is a one off, Click on the first row header, then Hold Ctrl and
    click on all of the other row headers and then delete them.
    If you are going to do it on a regular basis you would be better to create a
    Macro.

    HTH
    Michael

  3. #3
    Fredrik Wahlgren
    Guest

    Re: Deleting Rows in MS Excel

    "MacK" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > How can I delete every other row on an Excel worksheet without

    highlighting
    > and deleting each row in turn?
    > --
    > MacK

    You need a macro.
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=213610

    /Fredrik

  4. #4
    MacK
    Guest

    Re: Deleting Rows in MS Excel

    Thank you, Fredrik. I guess I'll have to learn what a macro is.

  5. #5
    MacK
    Guest

    RE: Deleting Rows in MS Excel

    Thank you, Michael. I'll try your suggestion of clicking on the row headers;
    but, as I told Fredrik, I guess I'll have to learn what a macro is. Thanks
    again.

  6. #6
    X_HOBBES
    Guest

    Re: Deleting Rows in MS Excel

    Assuming you just need to do this once, but have a bunch of rows to delete
    (say 1000+), it can be a pain to select every other row. So, here's a
    simple one-time trick.

    1. Insert a temporary column as Column A
    2. In this temporary Column A, flag all rows you want to delete with a "1"
    value
    - To do this, simply use a formula such as this:
    Cell A2 = "1"
    Cell A3 = ""
    Cell A4 = A2
    Cell A5 = A3
    - Copy this formula all the way down -- you'll end up with a "1" in
    every other row.
    3. Sort the worksheet based on Column A, so all of the flagged rows will be
    grouped together
    4. Select all of the grouped rows and delete.

  7. #7
    Jmnoi
    Guest

    RE: Deleting Rows in MS Excel

    Hello Mack,

    You can use an if statement to "group" your empty rows. Insert a column to
    the left of your data and start on the first new cell in the new column.
    (For example: your data is from cell A2 through G82 [A2:G82] - when you
    insert the new column, your data will move one column right [B2:H82] with the
    "A" column blank. With this example, you would begin in cell A2 and write
    the following:

    This means: If cell B2 is blank, then enter the number 1, if not, do nothing
    (leave this cell blank).
    Autofill (copy formula, with relative referencing - cell reference will
    increase by one automatically) this formula all the way down to the end of
    your data, then sort by column A.
    All of the "1"'s will group together and you can delete them as a range
    (group).

    I hope this helps - I've used it and it works perfectly.