Conditional Formatting and selection

  1. #1
    Kristin N
    Guest

    Conditional Formatting and selection

    I have one column that has both name/address(in one row) and telephone
    numbers(in another row). I'd like to move the name/address info into it's own
    column. I've been able to do a conditional format to change the text info to
    a new color but I can't seem to mass select that info so I can move it all at
    once. Any ideas would be appreciated.

  2. #2
    bj
    Guest

    RE: Conditional Formatting and selection

    if either the names or the telepphe numbers are all in even rows
    insert a helper column and enter
    =mod(row(),2) and copy down to the end of the data
    use autofilter on this column and select 0
    select all and paste somewhere
    change the autofilter to select 1
    select all and paste next to your first paste point. You will now have two
    new columns of data one with names addresses and the other with associated
    telephone numbers

    Ther are many other ways to do this also.

  3. #3
    John Moore
    Guest

    RE: Conditional Formatting and selection

    Hi, A Nested Search should work ok, try this, I have assumed that the name
    and address are separated only by a comma and that the data is in column B,
    cell2
    Enter this formula into a cell to extract the name =LEFT(B2,SEARCH(",",B2)-1)
    and this to extract the address =RIGHT(B2,SEARCH(",",B2)+4)