What do you do if you have auto save set, but it is not working?

  1. #1
    Jennifer
    Guest

    What do you do if you have auto save set, but it is not working?

    I have auto save in Excel set to every 5 minutes, but it is not auto saving
    the data. What should I do to fix it?
    Jennifer

  2. #2
    CyberTaz
    Guest

    RE: What do you do if you have auto save set, but it is not working?

    What version of Excel? XP (2002) & 2003 _do not_ have an AutoSave feature.

    If you are referring to AutoRecover (Tools>Options--Save), that is something
    totally different. It doesn't save your working file, but stores the data
    separately in a temporary file for recovery purposes in the event that XL or
    the system crashes while the file is open.

    HTH |:>)

  3. #3
    Jennifer
    Guest

    RE: What do you do if you have auto save set, but it is not workin

    Thanks. I was not aware of the difference. So there is no way to auto save
    an XL file in these versions? How would you retrieve what is in the auto
    recover? Thanks again for your help!
    Jennifer

  4. #4

    Re: What do you do if you have auto save set, but it is not workin

    Saved from a previous post:

    If you can find a copy of the autosave addin from an earlier version, it should
    work ok.

    But xl2002+ has something called autorecovery. It's not the same as autosave,
    but will allow you to recover files if excel/windows crashes.

    As an alternative, you may want to consider using Jan Karel Pieterse's addin
    called AutoSafe (note spelling).

    It doesn't overwrite the existing workbook when it saves. It saves to a user
    selectable folder. And when it's done, it either deletes these backups (or puts
    them in the recycle bin). And the user can always restore the backups from the
    recycle bin.

    http://www.jkp-ads.com/Download.htm
    (look for AutoSafe.zip, not autosafeVBE.zip, for your purposes.)

    Jan Karel's version will know if there was a crash and prompt you to open the
    last version it saved.

    ===
    And Gord Dibben posted this:

    Autosave.xla from Office 2000 or 97 will work with Excel 2002 or 2003.
    If you have a previous copy, move it to your Office\Library.
    To download the 97 version see here........
    http://www.stat.jmu.edu/trep/Marchat/sp2001/Library.htm