Pivot Table Repeats Names in multiple rows

  1. #1
    Riccardo
    Guest

    Pivot Table Repeats Names in multiple rows

    I have data on hours worked for about 70 employees (Names are rows) for the
    last year (Months are columns). For about 15 of those names, the Pivot Table
    is not consolidating all the data for that employee. Rather, it repeats the
    name for 2 or more rows as if those names were spelled in various ways. The
    hours data for those affected employees are also broken out among the various
    rows. The source data originally had this problem, but I fixed all the
    misspellings. By filtering the names field in my source data, I have
    confirmed that there is now only one version of each name. Why can't the
    Pivot Table recognize this? I've already tried refreshing the data and
    restarting the computer. Any suggestions?

  2. #2

    Re: Pivot Table Repeats Names in multiple rows

    Try looking for extra spaces.

    Autofilter ignores the trailing spaces. Pivottables don't.

    You could even use something like this when you're looking at the pivottable:

    =len(a5)
    =len(a6)
    (in a couple of unused helper cells--if A5 and A6 look identical to the *****
    eye.)

  3. #3
    Riccardo
    Guest

    Re: Pivot Table Repeats Names in multiple rows

    Thanks Dave! That was exactly the answer I needed!